The Friends of Wollongong Botanic Garden is a volunteer based group that has been established for more than 30 years. As a member of the Friends, you will have the opportunity to join in all our activities.
Volunteering opportunities for Friends members include:
- Hosting regular guided tours through the Garden
- Assisting with event catering and serving
- Supporting our staff during our school holiday programs and major events within the Garden
- Assisting our Greenplan Nursery team with plant propagations
- Assisting staff with basic garden maintenance tasks through the volunteer Willing Weeding Program
- Assisting staff with research for our garden development projects and ongoing curation of plant collections
- Archiving Botanic Garden historical documents and items
- Fundraising activities
The Friends also have an annually elected Executive Committee who mange the Friends activities and participate in regular meetings with Botanic Garden staff.
The Friends meet at the Garden’s Towri Centre at 10am on the second Saturday of February, April (AGM), June, August, October and December. Car parking is located off Madoline Street, Keiraville.
Skills, Experience and Personal Attributes
Existing skills and experience only required for the research and archiving projects. Training is provided for all other volunteering activities.
We are seeking people with the following attributes:
- Ability to work safely unsupervised and as a member of a team
- Willingness to undertake training
All volunteers are required to undertake relevant site and Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) inductions prior to participating in any volunteer activity.
Get involved, become a Friend today!
The Friends are always looking for new members to get involved. They offer worthwhile volunteering activities for volunteers in a friendly social environment. If you are thinking about volunteering your time to a worthwhile cause then the Wollongong Botanic Garden needs you! Please complete the Friends membership form (on the right) and submit via mail, email or to the Garden's Adminstration Centre.
Friends Funded Projects
The Friends have recently funded the following projects:
- Two Mobility Scooters in 2017
- Staff Scholarship Program, annually since 2016
- Electric Tour Vehicle in 2015
- Extraction and transportation of rare and endangered palms from Queensland in 2014