Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

All council websites and online services will be unavailable from 5:30pm today for essential maintenance

City Centre

Print this Page


Further information:
Economic Development Unit
Phone (02) 4227 7111

The City Centre is the heart of Wollongong and a hub for jobs, key regional services, cultural activity, entertainment and tourism.

Council's City Centre Revitalisation Team plays a key role in the management and development of the City Centre. Some key responsibilities of the team include:

  • Managing Council’s free City Centre WI-FI
  • Issuing a range of permits to operate in the City Centre and Crown Street Mall
  • Supporting and enhancing existing retail and commercial businesses in the City Centre
  • Working to deliver a vibrant and inviting City Centre
  • Ensuring the city feels safe to the community and shoppers.

To contact the team call (02) 4227 7111 or email  

City Centre News

Businesses, retailers and property owners can keep up to date with what's happening in the City Centre via our City Centre Newsletter.

City Centre News Autumn 2017 [3 MB]

If you'd like to be added to the mailing list, please email

City Centre permits and licences


Busking is permitted in the Crown Street Mall. There are three simple steps:

  1. Book your space by emailing or calling (02) 4227 7111.
  2. Collect your permit (daily cost $10.50 or half-day $5.10) from the iHub – 93 Crown Street Wollongong.
  3. While you're busking: remain in your precinct and at least 3 metres from any shop entry. Also keep a clear path for pedestrians. Ensure you stay within your time limit. Stay unplugged – no amplification. No offensive language, and neat and tidy dress must be worn.
  4. Display your permit at all times.

Busking and Live Sites Map

For more information on the Live Sites program contact Destination Wollongong.

Filming and photography

Before you can film or hold a photography shoot on Council-owned property or outdoor spaces, you'll need to take a look at the NSW Government Filming Protocol and read over its filming guidelines. You will also need to submit a Filming and Photography Application Form. We recommend putting in this form at least two weeks before the proposed shoot. Visit the Filming and Photography page for more information.

Outdoor Dining

Outdoor eating areas provide a place for customers to enjoy the sights, sounds and atmosphere of the outdoors as well as opportunities for interaction between customers and people on the street.

Council has an Outdoor Restaurant on Public Land Policy​ that has been developed to support and regulate outdoor dining across the city.

For more information or to apply for Outdoor Dining, visit Customer Service Online or call (02) 4227 7111.

Street trading

In Crown Street Mall

Outdoor trading (street vending) activities are only permitted in certain parts of the Crown St Mall. To find out more about conducting outdoor trading, please contact the City Centre team.

Outside of Crown Street Mall

Street trading is not permitted in areas outside of Crown Street Mall.

Vehicle entry

To keep pedestrians safe, vehicles are not permitted in the Crown St Mall at any time without a vehicle entry permit. To apply for a permit phone (02) 4227 7111 or email

Promotion and distribution of handbills

In Crown Street Mall

If you are interested in distributing handbills or undertaking promotions in the City Centre you will require a permit. For further information contact the City Centre team on (02) 4227 7111 or email

Outside of Crown Street Mall

To apply for a permit to distribute promotional material or handbills outside of Crown Street Mall contact Council's property division on (02) 4227 7111.

Community groups and charities

In Crown Street Mall

Local community groups and charities interested in holding an activity or event in the Crown Street Mall should contact the City Centre team on (02) 4227 7111 or email  Please note roaming fundraisers are not permitted in the Crown Street Mall.

Outside of Crown Street Mall

If you are part of a community group or charity and are interested in holding a stall in a location outside of Crown Street Mall, please contact Council on (02) 4227 7111.

Displaying a sign

If you would like to know more about what signs are permitted in the City Centre and how to obtain approval please refer to Chapter C1 of the Wollongong Development Control Plan or call Council on (02) 4227 7111.

Events or Performances

If you wish to hold an event or perform within the Crown Street Mall you need to contact Destination Wollongong at the iHub, 93 Crown Street on (02) 4228 0300 or email

City Centre Wi-Fi

Wollongong City offers free Wi-Fi coverage in outdoor areas along Crown Street, between Gladstone Avenue and Corrimal Street (including the Crown Street Mall and Globe Lane) and in the Arts Precinct area (between the Art Gallery and IPAC buildings).

The Wif-Fi has a three-hour time limit and/or a 250Mb download limit per user per day.

If you’re having trouble getting connected, Council has set up a hotline – call 1300 135 302 or visit our Wi-Fi page​.

Smoke-free zones in Crown Street Mall and Outdoor Dining

The Crown Street Mall is a Smoke Free Zone

Council has taken a leading role in helping to create a cleaner, healthier and happier space for people to live and visit.

Open space on public land in the Crown Street Mall is smoke-free.  This includes:

  • Crown Street from Keira Street to Kembla Street
  • Globe Lane (located between Crown Street to Church Street)
  • Globe Way (located between Globe Lane to Burelli Street
  • Church Street from Globe Lane to Court Lane.

There are no designated smoking areas in the Crown Street Mall.  Anyone wishing to smoke will need to move to the areas surrounding the Mall.

Butt out! People no longer want to breathe my smoke in Crown Street Mall...farewell from Nicci Butt

NSW Smoke Free Legislation
The Smoke-free Environment Act 2000 makes a number of outdoor public places smoke-free and also includes a ban on smoking within:
  • 4 metres of a pedestrian entrance to or exit from a public building.  Including: around entrances to public buildings e.g. commercial or business previses, shopping centres, malls and plazas, restaurants, cafes and clubs. Schools and colleges, theatres, cinemas and libraries, accommodation hotels and motels, recreational and sporting facilities as well as childcare facilities;
  • 10 metres of children’s play equipment;
  • public swimming pools and sports grounds; and
  • public transport stops and stations; and
  • outdoor dining areas.

Buildings used only for residential purposes are not covered by the ban on smoking within 4 metres of the building entrance or exit, with the exception of buildings that have an entrance/exit with a commercial use.

Smoking in outdoor dining areas is also prohibited and includes footpaths outside licensed cafes and pubs.

To obtain more information or to make a complaint, contact your local Public Health Unit or the Tobacco Information Line.

NSW Health: Tobacco information line 1800 357 412

Page last updated: