Wollongong City Council hosted the Council of the Local Government Regional NAIDOC Awards 2017 on Saturday 22 July. This annual event recognises Aboriginal and Non-Aboriginal achievements through eight categories.
This event is the only event of its kind and is an opportunity for communities, businesses and organisations to celebrate the contribution and achievements of Aboriginal communities in Wollongong, Shellharbour, Kiama and Shoalhaven Local Government Areas. The NAIDOC awards are made possible with the support of our partner councils, corporate leaders, government agencies, non-government organisations and individuals.
Congratulations to everyone who was nominated for these awards, and the winners:
- Elder of the Year, Male: Uncle Ivern Ardler
- Elder of the Year, Female: Aunty Beverly Armer
- Worker of the Year: Kirli Rae Saunders
- Young Achiever of the Year, Female: Berrima Blakeney
- Young Achiever of the Year, Highly Commended: Jackson Tikkeros
- Young Achiever of the Year, Male: Mark Hudson
- Community Volunteer of the Year: John Keith Williams
- Organisation of the Year: Cullunghutti Aboriginal Child and Family Centre
- Outstanding Contribution to Reconciliation: Djirang Dance Ensemble.
For more information, see our event media release.