Many people contribute to making Wollongong great. That contribution may be in terms of professional, sporting or academic achievement, community work, or as an inspirational role model.
We’re now calling for nominations for our Australia Day Awards 2019, across the following categories:
Citizen of the Year
A person aged 24 and over, on 26 January 2019, who has made a noteworthy and outstanding contribution to the community of Wollongong, particularly over the last two years.
Senior Citizen of the Year
A person aged 65 and over, on 26 January 2019, has made a noteworthy and outstanding contribution to the Wollongong community, particularly over the last two years.
Young Citizen of the Year
A person aged 25 and under on 26 January 2019, who has made a noteworthy and outstanding contribution to our community, particularly over the last two years.
Arts & Cultural Award
A person who has influenced, or made the most valuable contribution to, the performing or visual arts or heritage over 2017 and 2018.
Community Group Award
A local volunteer, not-for-profit or service organisation based in the City of Wollongong which has made an outstanding contribution to the people of our community across 2017 and 2018.
A person who has influenced or made the most valuable contribution to the playing, coaching, management or promotion of at least one sport in our city in 2017 and 2018.
Outstanding Achievement or Innovation Award
A person has influenced or made the most innovative contribution to their endeavours, in such disciplines (but not limited to) science, technology, education and mathematics, research, medicine or the environment, across 2017 and 2018.
All nominees will be invited to the Australia Day Awards presentation dinner in January 2019.
Thanks to our Australia Day Award sponsor, the Fairy Meadow Community Bank Branch of Bendigo Bank
How to nominate
To nominate someone for the 2019 Australia Day Awards, read the Conditions of Entry below, then click the ‘Apply online’ button.
Please note, the nomination form will ask for a passport-sized photo of the person / organisation you're nominating, as well as their contact details, so make sure you have that ready before completing the nomination.
Conditions of Entry
- Nominees must have been a resident of the City of Wollongong during the past 2 years and are Australian Citizens.
- Community groups must be based in and operating in the City of Wollongong.
- Nominations must be made on the official form (on-line or down-loaded).
- Nominations may be made by an individual or a representative of an organisation.
- A person may make a number of nominations – but must use a separate form for each nomination.
- Nominees must agree to be nominated and must testify to the accuracy and veracity of the nomination information.
- Persons cannot nominate themselves, however Community Groups can self-nominate.
- It is permissible to contact Council during the nomination process for advice or information.
- All information and material submitted during the nomination process remains the property of Council.
- The judging committee has the right to vary the category, if it feels that a different category is more appropriate.
- Past winners will not be considered in the same category again.
- The judging committee’s decision is final.
Nominations must be received by close of business, Friday 7 December 2018.