We want to know how our pools are currently meeting your needs and how they should look in the future.
As part of a key action from the Wollongong 2022: Community Strategic Plan, Council has engaged consultants, Strategic Leisure Group, to develop a plan for our nine public swimming pools located at Helensburgh, Thirroul, Corrimal, Wollongong (Continental and Beaton Park), Unanderra, Berkeley, Dapto and Port Kembla.
This project will provide us with a plan to ensure our future provision of pools, and the services offered within those facilities, continues to meet the demands for recreational swimmers and future aquatic recreational needs. Once the draft Plan is prepared, it will be publicly exhibited for further input – we expect the draft Plan to be available in early August.
This project is about celebrating what we currently have and looking at opportunities to ensure our pool facilities and services are relevant to encourage more people to use our pools.
To give us your feedback:
Submissions will be accepted until 7 May 2013.
About the project
The key objectives of this project are to:
- Assess Council’s current public swimming pools against industry standards and aquatic provision trends.
- Identify opportunities for each facility that will enhance utilisation.
- Review operational and maintenance expenditure at Council’s public swimming pools to inform recommendations.
- Make recommendations on future facility infrastructure and service provision opportunities, ensuring that recommendations enhance facility utilisation without increasing the level of Council’s subsidy (i.e. maximise the value attributed to the cost of provision).
The scope of the project includes:
- Nine council owned and operated public swimming pools
- Associated assets, including associated amenities (consideration to only the pool facility at the Beaton Park Leisure Centre)
Services provided at each facility
- All current leases and licenses associated with these aquatic facilities.
The project will consider the current availability of eight maintained rock pools, 17 patrolled beaches and external swimming pool providers (e.g. University of Wollongong) in broad terms only.