The Walking, Cycling and Mobility Reference Group provides advice to Council on the preparation and implementation of bicycle, pedestrian and disability access policies and strategic plans in the City of Wollongong.
The responsibilities and functions of the Walking, Cycling and Mobility Reference Group are to assist and advise Council on:
- Promoting cycling and walking for improved health and environmental outcomes
- Access barriers for people with disability, as well as older people and children
- Better understanding issues preventing increases in cycling and walking as transport choices
- Making the city’s walking and cycling network child friendly
- Support and facilitate communication between Council and the local community on disability access issues
- Advocate for the community on access issues raised by the community
- The needs for walking and cycling connections to public transport
- Town centre and neighbourhood planning with respect to provision of suitable bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure
- Priorities for the implementation of policies or strategic plans to support cycling, walking accessibility and connectivity.
The Active Transport Reference Group addressed similar issues prior to the creation of the Walking, Cycling and Mobility Reference Group. To request the charter and minutes for the former Active Transport Reference Group, email Council.