Development Application Process
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

All council websites and online services will be unavailable from 5:30pm today for essential maintenance

Quick Launch

Development Application Process

Print this Page

Page Sections: How to lodge a DA | Public Notification and Advertising of DevelopmentPolicy | Building Classifications | DA Assessment | Development Consent | Complying Development | Activity Application |

How to Lodge a DA

The following items need to be prepared and submitted for all Development Applications (DA).

  1. Completed DA form - When lodging a DA you must submit a completed application form at Council's Customer Service Centre (between 8.30am and 4.30pm) or using the online form , along with:
    • consent from all the registered owners. If a company owns the property, the company stamp or seal is required. If the building is subject to a strata scheme, the owner's corporation seal and authorised signatures are required;
    • details of the proposed development including the existing use, operating hours, staff numbers, goods to be produced or stored, existing and proposed car spaces and loading facilities.
    You can obtain a DA form from Council.
  2. Statement of Environmental Factors - This statement should detail any expected impact of the development on the environment, adjoining premises or the public. It should also include a description of the existing situation and the proposed development.

  3. Required Fees - You are required to pay a fee when you lodge your DA. Call the Customer Service Centre to obtain a fee estimate for your development. When you contact us to obtain this estimate you need to provide details of your development so your estimate is as accurate as possible.

    This estimate may change at lodgement depending on when the estimate was obtained or what other information is available at lodgement for Council to determine your correct fees. When you lodge your application please be aware of this as you may need to pay more or less at the actual time of lodgement.

    The fees that are charged may be made of up Wollongong City Council fees and other state government fees. Accordingly you may be required to pay some of these fees by a separate cheque.

  4. 4. Drawings - One digital copy and one paper set of drawings must be prepared for the proposed development. These must include:

    • A site plan showing the location of the development within a building or within the locality. The site plan should also identify the site, streets, adjoining properties and a northpoint.
    • Plans showing the details of the proposed development in relation to adjoining premises and streets if applicable. If the proposal is for part of a floor of a building only, the floor plan of the whole floor must be provided.
    • Elevations showing the view of the development from all sides in relation to adjoining premises (not required where there is no new work proposed).
    • Sections through appropriate areas of the site (not required where there is no new work proposed).
    • New work must be coloured, with a clear distinction between alterations and additions.

    Drawings must be to scale, normally at 1:100 on A3 sized paper, and suitably numbered, titled and dated. They are to be folded to A4 size with the title block to the front.

    For the lodgement of plans larger than A3 you need to contact Council's Customer Service Centre prior to coming in for lodgement. Approval will only be granted if the drawings are not easily legible at the scales of 1:100 or 1:200 on A3 plans.

    Sign applications require plan and elevation details of the location, size and width of the sign, height above ground, materials, colouring, text including size of lettering, graphics and logo, and illumination.

Additional Information that May be Required

Statement of Heritage Impact -
If the building is a heritage item or within a conservation area, a statement of heritage impact is required detailing the impact of the development on the heritage item or the area.
Floor Area
If any additions result in an increase in the gross floor area or total floor area of the building, details of the existing floor area of the building and the additional proposed floor area must be provided. Floor space ratio calculations must also be provided.
In the case of demolition, full details of the age and condition of the buildings or works to be demolished must be provided. You must also provide photographs of the building to be demolished.
Flood Study
In the case of DAs on land which is subject to flooding you may need to provide a flood study. Please contact Council's drainage design section to find out if a flood study is required for your proposed development.
Geotechnical Report
If your land is unstable and subject to landslip you may be required to lodge a geotechnical report with your application.
Major Developments
Developments with a value of over $5 million or with ten residential units or greater, constitute major developments. Depending on the size and scope of the development, additional information may be required for major developments. This may include a model, materials specifications, traffic and parking report, wind effects report etc. Additional sets of drawings also may be required. Details of additional information required for major developments are given at the pre lodgement meeting.
3D Electronic Model
3D electronic models are required for any development that involves the construction of buildings greater than three stories within the area covered by Wollongong City Centre Local Environmental Plan 2007. Documents outlining the specifications of these electronic models or further information may be obtained about model specifications from Council's land information manager.

Public Notification and Advertising of Development Applications

The public exhibition process for development applications will be in accordance with the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000 and Wollongong Development Control Plan (WDCP) 2009, Appendix 1 – Public Notification and Advertising Procedures.

Applications for which written notification to neighbours and/or a newspaper advertisement of the proposed development is required, will incur a notification fee. This fee will be in accordance with Council’s adopted fees and charges.

Building Classifications

Class 1 | Class 2 | Class 3 | Class 4 | Class 5 | Class 6 | Class 7 | Class 8 | Class 9 | Class 10

Class 1: one or more buildings which in association constitute:

  • Class 1a: a single dwelling being:
    • a detached house; or
    • one of a group of two or more attached dwellings, each being a building, separated by a fire-resisting wall, including a row house, terrace house, town house or villa unit; or
  • Class 1b: a boarding house, guest house, hostel or the like:
    • with a total area of all floors not exceeding 300m2 measured over the enclosing walls of the Class 1b; and
    • in which not more than 12 persons would ordinarily be resident;
    • which is not located above or below another dwelling or another class of building other than a private garage.

Class 2: a building containing two or more sole-occupancy units each being a separate dwelling.

Class 3: a residential building, other than a building of Class 1 or 2, which is a common place of long term or transient living for a number of unrelated persons, including:

  • a boarding-house, guest house, hostel, lodging-house or backpackers accommodation; or
  • a residential part of a hotel or motel; or
  • a residential part of a school; or
  • accommodation for the aged, children or people with disabilities; or
  • a residential part of a health-care building which accommodates members of staff; or
  • a residential part of a detention centre.

Class 4: a dwelling in a building that is Class 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 if it is the only dwelling in the building.

Class 5: an office building used for professional or commercial purposes, excluding buildings of Class 6, 7, 8 or 9.

Class 6: a shop or other building for the sale of goods by retail or the supply of services direct to the public, including:

  • an eating room, cafe, restaurant, milk or soft-drink bar; or
  • a dining room, bar, shop or kiosk part of a hotel or motel; or
  • a hairdresser’s or barber’s shop, public laundry, or undertaker’s establishment; or
  • market or sale room, showroom, or service station.

Class 7: a building which is:

  • Class 7a: a car park; or
  • Class 7b: for storage, or display of goods or produce for sale by wholesale.

Class 8: a laboratory, or a building in which a handicraft or process for the production, assembling, altering, repairing, packing, finishing, or cleaning of goods or produce is carried on for trade, sale, or gain.

Class 9: a building of a public nature:

  • Class 9a: a health-care building, including those parts of the building set aside as a laboratory; or
  • Class 9b: an assembly building, including a trade workshop, laboratory or the like in a primary or secondary school, but excluding any other parts of the building that are of another Class; or
  • Class 9c: an aged care building

Class 10: a non-habitable building or structure:

  • Class 10a: a non-habitable building being a private garage, carport, shed, or the like; or
  • Class 10b: a structure being a fence, mast, antenna, retaining or free-standing wall, swimming pool, or the like.

DA Assessment

Once you've lodged your DA it will be assigned a DA number.

Some development applications will be placed on exhibition for public comment before a decision is made. The type of applications and how exhibition will take place is set out in Council's Notification Policy. If any valid objections are received it will be up to you to address them during our assessment of the application. A decision will then be made to either approve the application with conditions or refuse the application.

We assess applications for development consent on merit, against criteria set out in the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 and Council plans, policies and codes.

Allow time for your application to be processed because sometimes complex issues arise.

During the process our officers will conduct a site inspection and might refer your application to other departments for advice on issues such as flood risk and traffic considerations. Some applications may also be sent to NSW State Government Departments for their comments and or approvals.

It’s also a good idea to talk to your neighbours about your plans. You can resolve many potential problems early if your neighbours are aware of your project.

Development Consent

After you receive development consent and before building work can commence, you’ll need to obtain a Construction Certificate (designed to ensure your proposal will meet the required standards i.e. the Building Code of Australia and the Development Consent).

Complying Development

If your development is classified as a ‘Complying Development’- instead of obtaining development consent and a Construction Certificate, you can obtain a Complying Development Certificate. Contact our Customer Service Centre for a specific application form.

Activity Application

If you’re making an activity application, you’ll need to contact Council to lodge a separate specific application form.​

Page last updated: