Wollongong offers a great setting for recreational activities, including outdoor personal and group fitness training activities.
To effectively manage the use of our parks and reserves, Council has developed a policy and licensing process to address outdoor commercial fitness training activities. The policy helps Council to:
- Provide equity of access to public open spaces
- Ensure the community has access to licensed, qualified and insured outdoor fitness operators
- Reduce and manage the potential impact of commercial fitness training activities on public assets
- Minimise public liability concerns
- Promote active living opportunities.
Commercial fitness trainers wishing to use public parks and reserves for their activities need to obtain a licence agreement with Council and pay an annual fee based on Council’s Fees & Charges. There are two types of licences available depending on group size.
- A ‘primary site licence’ refers to a licence which permits an operator to undertake commercial fitness training activities involving greater than two participants per session, on public ‘open space’ as defined in the Commercial Fitness Training Activities On Open Space Policy, and where development consent/Council approval has been granted.
- A ‘mobile licence permit’ refers to a licence which permits an operator to undertake commercial fitness training activities involving no greater than three participants only, on public ‘open space’ as defined in the Commercial Fitness Training Activities On Open Space Policy, and where development consent/Council approval has been granted.
Licensed trainers are issued with a wrist band to differentiate themselves from those who ignore the licensing system and train groups in Wollongong’s parks and reserves without approval.
Licensed operators can be viewed via the link below:
Approved Sites and Current Licensees
Council does not recommend or endorse any trainer or training methods and accepts no responsibility for the actions of trainers.
Details on the application process and how to apply:
Application for Licence to Conduct Fitness Training Activities on Public Open Space [84 KB]
Commercial Fitness Training Activities on Public Open Space Council Policy [1.3 MB]
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Sheet [133 KB]
Aerial photographs of sites
Click on a name below to view the aerial photograph for that site
Austinmer Beach Reserve
Bulli Beach Reserve
Darcy Wentworth Park
East Corrimal Beach Reserve and Towradgi Park
Fairy Meadow Beach Reserve
JJ Kelly Park
Kanahooka Park Lakeside Drive Map A
Kanahooka Park Lakeside Drive Map B
King George V Oval
Mt Kembla Park
Rex Jackson Park and Charles Harper Park
Robert Ziems Park
Roy Johanson Park
South Sandon Point
Stanwell Park Recreation Reserve
Thirroul Beach Reserve
Thomas Dalton Park
WA Lang Park