Avon
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

All council websites and online services will be unavailable from 5:30pm today for essential maintenance

Quick Launch

Avon

Print this Page

​Avon Colliery, 1981

History

Parish of Wongawilli County of Camden

Suburb assigned 5 August 2005. A locality within Metropolitan Catchment Area on the western side of Illawarra Range about 4km west of Wongawilli and about 5km north west of Avondale. An address locality. Proposed as locality 10 Jul 02.

This page is currently being developed by Library staff

Avon - Timeline

  
Event
  
John Buckland is promised a land grant of 1920 acres, names it “Balgownie”
  
John Dingwall purchases a portion of land from an auction, names it “Mount Pleasant”
  
Mount Pleasant Colliery opened by Mr P. Lahiff on Plunkett’s property.
  
The tramway from Mount Pleasant Colliery to Wollongong Harbour constructed after being rushed through parliment
  
Second Mount Pleasant Colliery opened 2.5 km north of original
  
Balgownie Public School opened
  
Mount Pleasant Coke Works built near the railway bridge in North Wollongong
  
Mount Pleasant Colliery ceases production
  
Mount Pleasant Colliery goes into liquidation
  
BHP takes over the colliery (now named Keira Pleasant Tunnels)
  
Mt Ousley Road begins construction (Main Rd 513 and Trunk Rd 95)
  
Mt Ousley Road completed and opened
  
Colliery closed and sealed
  
Mount Pleasant Sports and Social Club opens
  
Rhododendron Park established by members of the Illawarra branch of the Australian Rhododendron Society
  
Pleasant Heights Public School established
  
Mount Pleasant Sports and Social Club closes
  
Mount Pleasant Coke Works (at North Wollongong) ceases operation
Page last updated: