Coniston
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

All council websites and online services will be unavailable from 5:30pm today for essential maintenance

Quick Launch

Coniston

Print this Page

History

Parish of Wollongong County of Camden

Mount Drummond

Mount Drummond was the original name of Coniston, also sometimes referred to as South Wollongong. It was a grant of 280 acres made to Rachel Moore White. It seems that land in the area was owned at one time by a J. Drummond. Drummond is said to have owned 300 acres, bounded on one side by Garden Hill Estate and running down to Tom Thumb's Lagoon. The debate over a suitable name for the area seems to have continued for some years, the Mercury reporting in 1923 that "Mt Drummond, or South Wollongong or Coniston which of these names will settle permanently on this locality is not definite". One objection to the name Mt Drummond was that there was already a mountain of that name in the County of Hardinge near Armidale.

This page is currently under development by Library Staff.​

Coniston - Timeline

  
Event
1917
Progress Association formed (Illawarra Index)
1917
Congregational Church [now know as the Coniston United Church] opened (Illawarra Index)
1921
Mount Drummond [later known as South Wollongong Public School] established in church hall (Illawarra Index)
1923
New school opens at "terminus of Auburn Street" [now corner of Auburn & Bridge Streets]. Originally known as South Wollongong Pubilc School (Illawarra Index)
1924
Mining lease for brick making granted to Wollongong Brick & Tile Company (Illawarra Index)
1924
Mount Drummond Railway Station nearing completion (Illawarra Index)
1927
Electric light scheme of the Central Illawarra Council switched on (Illawarra Index)
1927
Gladstone Estate, originally Crown Street to Mount Drummond, subdivided (Illawarra Index)
1927
Coniston Progress Association met at school [first mention of Coniston, previously referred to as South Wollongong or Mount Drummond] (Illawarra Index)
1929
Electric light switched on in Gladstone Estate (Illawarra Index)
1930
Mr W Thomas establishes the first grocery business in Coniston with the opening of his Post Office store in Auburn Street (IHS Bulletin, Oct 1960)
1931
Gladstone Park opened (Illawarra Index)
1935
3 new rooms opened  at public school (Illawarra Index)
1935
Newbolds take over brickworks (IHS Bulletin, Oct 1960)
1937
New Technical College proposed  (Illawarra Index)
1940s
National Emergency Services (NES) Hall built near Railway Station (IHS Bulletin, Oct 1960)
1941
New Railway Station built [current location] (IHS Bulletin, Oct 1960)
1946
Separate Infants Department established at public school (Illawarra Index)
1955
Hotel Coniston opens opposite the Railway Station (IHS Bulletin, Oct 1960)
1955
Coniston Scout Hall officially opened by Area Commissioner Mr C F T Jackson (IHS Bulletin, Oct 1960)
1956
600 attend the re-opening of Coniston Hall (Illawarra Index)
1961
Coniston United Church hall opened (Illawarra Index)
1961
Preliminary plans to build a new depot and administration centre decided at Illawarra County Council meeting (Illawarra Index)
1962
Local Government Minister accepts invitation to open two new Illawarra County Council buildings and lay the foundation stone for the new administration block (Illawarra Index)
1963
Work started on new Illawarra County Council building (Illawarra Index)
1965
Newbolds Brickworks demolished to make room for railway extensions (Illawarra Index)
1966
Foundation stone laid for shelter for men, built on the corner of Miller & Auburn Streets (Illawarra Index)
1967
300 attend dedication and blessing of the shelter for destitute men built by St Vincent de Paul Society (Illawarra Index)
1968
Wollongong City Council builds new ticket office at Coniston Railway Station in preparation for the widening of the overbridge (Illawarra Index)
1973
Wollongong Garbage Depot in Springhill Road to close (Illawarra Index)
1973
Neville McKinnon, former licensee of the Coniston Hotel dies. Mr McKinnon boxed under the name of Tancy Lee (Ilawarra Index)
1975
Premier, Mr T Lewis, opens Illawarra County Council building (Illawarra Index)
1978
Coniston [later Kenny Street] Neighbourhood House, including child care centre for 'at risk' children, opens (Illawarra Index)
1979
Newly formed Illawarra Folk Club finds home at Coniston Hotel (Illawarra Index)
1982
Water Board relocating to new headquarters within the existing depot in Old Springhill Road (Illawarra Index)
1985
Theatre South makes Coniston Hall its permanent home (Illawarra Index)
1992
Coniston Scout Group re-forms after 5 year closure (Illawarra Index)
1994
St Vincent de Paul Hostel rebuilt providing a 26 bed home-style accomodation complex for homeless men (Illawarra Index)
1996
Tom Thumb Wetlands undergoes 6 months of regeneration thanks to a YWCA New Work Opportunities program (Illawarra Index)
1998
Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter moves into newly constructed heliport on Springhill Road (ProQuest)
2003
Theatre South closes (Illawarra Index)
2009
SES Warehouse opens in Drummond Street (Illawarra Index)
2011
Phoenix Theatre opens in the renovated Bridge Street Theatre, former home of Theatre South (Illawarra Index)
Page last updated: