Keiraville
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

All council websites and online services will be unavailable from 5:30pm today for essential maintenance

Quick Launch

Keiraville

Print this Page

This page is currently being developed by Library staff

 

Keiraville - Timeline

  
Event
1891
Keiraville Public School opened (Illawarra Index)
1899
Keiraville School of Arts officially opened (Illawarra Index)
1899
Keiraville Mechanic's Institute established on corner of Bell and Rose Streets (Local cuttings file)
1906
Episcopalian Church opened (Illawarra Index)
1906
St John's Anglican Church in Parsons Street was opened and dedicated in August as a branch Church of St Michael's, Wollongong (Local cuttings file)
1928
Mr and Mrs Hoskins purchased 75 acres of dairy farming land on which Glennifer Brae was later built (Local cuttings file)
1938 - 1939
Glennifer Brae built for Sydney Hoskins (Local cuttings file)
1954
Hoskins Family donated 10.5 acres of land for the creation of a Botanical Garden (Local cuttings file)
1954
Hoskins sold Glennifer Brae and a portion of land to the Anglican private girls school, SCEGGS (Local cuttings file)
1955
Sydney Church of England Grammar School for Girls at Glennifer Brae opened (Illawarra Index)
1960
New Keiraville Congregational Church held first service (Illawara Index)
1962
Botanic Garden planned on 25 acre site (Illawarra Index)
1962
Barnardo Home for boys and girls opened in Hillview Avenue (Illawarra Index)
1963
Final landscape plan for Botanic Garden adopted by Council (Local cuttings file)
1964
First tree planted in the Botanic Garden by curator, Bill Mearns (Local cuttings file)
1966
Keiraville Public School 75th Anniversary celebrations (Illawarra Index)
1969
Sir Roden and Lady Cutler planted a rare Dawn Redwood tree in the Botanic Garden (Illawarra Index)
1970
Council resolved that the Wollongong War Memorial Park be named 'Hoskins Park - Wollongong Botanic Garden' (Local cuttings file)
1970
Wollongong Botanic Garden was officially opened by Mrs A Hoskins and Lord Mayor Alderman E Ford (Local cuttings file)
1975
Dr Barnardo's Boy's Home closes due to lack of demand (Illawarra Index)
1976
Wollongong City Council to extend the Botanic Garden by buying 6.9 hectares of land from SCEGGS (Illawarra Index)
1977
Glennifer Brae property was acquired by Wollongong City Council, subject to a covenant restricting its use to education (Local cuttings file)
1978
Wollongong City Council plan to acquire the SCEGGS Glennifer Brae property (Illawarra Index)
1978
Wollongong City Council took possession of the SCEGGS Glennifer Brae property after a 4 month dispute over its ownership (Illwarra Index)
1979
Conservatorium of Music, Council for Performing Arts and Pan Pacific Music Camps will all have access to Glennifer Brae (Illawarra Index)
1982
Tree planting ceremony in the 'Youth Forest', Richardson Park, Grey Street during the Australian Year of the Tree and World Environment Day (Local cuttings file)
1988
The equatorial sundial built after a design by Henry Moore was placed into the Rose Garden by Friends of the Botanic Garden (Local cuttings file)
1990
Keiraville Post Office centenary (Illawarra Branches)
1997
Residents battle to save Illawarra Escarpment from developers by forming SCLC-sanctioned picket line at Keiraville (Illawarra Index)
2006
St John's Anglican Church celebrates 100 years (Wollongong Advertiser)
2010
Community meeting organised through the National Trust to discuss the future of Glennifer Brae (Wollongong Advertiser)
Page last updated: