Lilyvale
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

All council websites and online services will be unavailable from 5:30pm today for essential maintenance

Quick Launch

Lilyvale

Print this Page
This page is currently being developed by library staff.

Lilyvale - Timeline

  
Event
1889
Lilyvale first appeared (Black Diamonds, 2nd ed., LR994.46 BAY)
1889
The Metropolitan Hotel built by George Welch (Black Diamonds, 2nd ed., LR994.46 BAY)
1891
Church of England built by [George] Ricketts (Illawarra Index)
1896
The Helensburgh and Lilyvale Workmen's Club and Mutual School of Artsformed in reaction to the mistreatment of miners in Helensburgh's two pubs (Black Diamonds, 2nd ed., LR994.46 BAY; Helensburgh: the first hundred years, LRQ994.46 BUC)
1908
Growth in traffic on the Illawarra Railway caused congestion and increased hazards; the Waterfall-Otford duplication was proposed including the adjustments around Lilyvale station and the Liliyvale tunnel (Illawarra Index)
1909
Bushfires raged along the coast, devastating Lilyvale; residences, poultry, and fruit and vegetable gardens were lost, including the abundant crop of blackberries around Lilyvale station. The station itself caught fire several times, but was saved by residents (SMH, 6/1/1909, p. 10)
1909
The Pubic Works Committee presented its report on the proposed Waterfall-Otford deviation to Parliament, recommending it be carried out (Illawarra Index)
1913
Sections of the Waterfall-Otford deviation completed, with Helensburgh and Lilyvale being cleared (Illawarra Index)
1925
Helensburgh and Liliyvale Women's Social and Literary Club opened (Illawarra Index)
1945
Lady Wakehurst Drive opened (European history: Royal National Park, MSS1162)
1952
Lilyvale Mushrooms Pty Ltd began in disused railway tunnel (History of Helensburgh, LR994.46 HIS)
1956
Lilyvale Co-operative Society's new building opened (Illawarra Index)
Page last updated: