Maddens Plains
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

All council websites and online services will be unavailable from 5:30pm today for essential maintenance

Quick Launch

Maddens Plains

Print this Page

Maddens Plains - Environment

A locality about 1 km N of Scarborough and about 7 km E of Southend Station

Maddens Plains - Timeline

  
Event
1857
Meeting of residents of Bulli at Mackenzie's to discuss a new line of road wanted from Maddens Plains to Wollongong via the Bulli Parish Road
1954
Nine-hole golf course constructed at Maddens Plains
1956
Illawarra Golf Course extended to 18 holes
1957
$80,000 PMG installation at Maddens Plains threatened by bushfire (Illawarra Index)
1958
PMG test aerial over 100 feet high erected near Princes Highway at Maddens Plains
1959
New PMG communication tower erected at relay station
1963
Brambles get gravel trucking contract.  Brambles will cart gravel from Maddens Plains to Wollongong in spite of protests by 70 lorry drivers (Illawarra Index)
1967
Fire threatens PMG installation at Maddens Plains. Station is main link in radio telephone system between Sydney and Wollongong
1972
Nareena clubhouse at the Illawarra Golf Course is destroyed by fire. Arson suspected.
1974
Coal Cliff Colliery permitted to establish coalwash dump in Western Gully of Maddens Plains.
1997
The name 'Treverrow' assigned to trigonometrical station on the eastern edge of the Illawarra Range at Maddens Plains. Leon Gilmore Treverrow was a Lands Department surveyor stationed in Wollongong. He also taught surveying at the Wollongong Technical College (Website - Geographical Names Board of NSW)

Bibliography

Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. http://www.gnb.nsw.gov.au/name_search Accessed 4 January 2010

Illawarra Mercury

Local Studies Cuttings File

Page last updated: