North Wollongong
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

All council websites and online services will be unavailable from 5:30pm today for essential maintenance

Quick Launch

North Wollongong

Print this Page

North Wollongong

This page is currently being updated by library staff.

North Wollongong - Timeline

  
Event
188?
Guns bearing the date 1872 were installed on Smiths Hill (Local cuttings file)
1910
Coke Ovens being erected east of railway line near Mount Pleasant tramway (Illawarra Index)
1926 - 1927
Fairy Creek (Bode's) Bridge over Fairy Creek on Flinders Street (Princes Highway) was built by the RTA (Local cuttings file)
1936
North Wollongong Surf Pavilion opened 3 October (Illawarra Index)
1953
North Wollongong Telephone Exchange to open 20 June (Illawarra Index)
1958
Puckey homestead on the northern shore of Fairy Creek vandalised and subsequently demolished (Illawarra Index)
1962
Bridge over Fairy Creek on Squires Road completed (Illawarra Index)
1963
Council approved subdivision of 63 acres of land at Fairy Meadow (now North Wollongong) - 44 acres west of Squires Way for hostel site; 19 acres on the east (near Puckey's Estate) transferred to council and zoned Open Space Recreation Reserve (Illawarra Index)
1965
Electrical warning system designed to avert drowning tragedies at Fairy Creek installed (Illawarra Index)
1966
Official opening of YMCA residential centre, Illawarra House, on Princes Highway (Illawarra Index)
1968
George Hanley Drive named to honour Alderman George Hanley (Illawarra Index)
1972
International House, the residential complex for students, opened (Illawarra Index)
1975
Illawarra Retirement Trust opened new units, Matthew Flinders Court (formerly Noah's Motor Inn) (Illawarra Index)
1982
Northbeach International Hotel opened (Local cuttings file)
1988
Smiths Hill Fort (Battery Park) restoration officially opened by Stewart West (Local cuttings file)
1998
Storm Aid concert held in Stuart Park to raise awareness and money for flood damage sustained in the Illawarra in August (Illawarra Index)
2001
Lagoon Seafood Restaurant at Stuart Park destroyed by fire (Illawarra Index)
2005
Cragmar Complex in Flinders Street demolished (Local cuttings file)
2007
North Wollongong Railway Station upgraded and refurbished (Illawarra Mercury)
2008
Unveiling of statue at North Wollongong beach (Illawarra Images)
2008
Official opening of the first buildngs on Innovation Campus (Illawarra Index)
2009
Boundary change to include Innovation Campus within the suburb of North Wollongong (Local cuttings file)
Page last updated: