West Wollongong
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

All council websites and online services will be unavailable from 5:30pm today for essential maintenance

Quick Launch

West Wollongong

Print this Page
This page is currently being developed by Library Staff

West Wollongong - Timeline

  
Event
1821
Cornelius O’Brien discovers and develops a track over the escarpment
1828
James Stares Spearing settled on Paulsgrove Estate, later known as Mt Keera Estate.  Mr Spearing had 2 water mills on the creek that ran through the estate.  The creek variously known as Byarong, Byrarong, Millbrook or the Mill Brook.
1843
 “Keera Vale” Bukari Street was built for His Honor, Judge Therry, Member for Camden.  Orginally built with sandstock bricks, the exterior was rendered with cement in the 1930’s
1856
Mr Geard constructs "Brighton Villa" on 30 acres of land fronting Mt Keira Road
1908
Rosemont Estate land sale.  The estate covers Greenacre Road, Sperry Street, Urunga Parade, Rosemont Street, Hillcrest Street, Matthews Street, Northcote Street and New Dapto Road
1918
In the Subdivision of Gilmore Estate, the Vendor H.N Collins of Sydney set aside an area of over 7 acres as a public park “Gilmore Park”
1928
Gunyah Estate land sale.  Estate covers Rosemont Street, Urunga Parade, Dempster Street, Greenacre Road and Gilmore Street
1938
Wyumba Estate land sale.  Estate covers Fisher Street, England Street, Gilmore Street and Reserve Street
1941
Little Flower Church established.  It is a memorial to late Rev. J. P. Dunne : to be dedicated to the "Little Flower”
1954
Opening of West Wollongong Primary School by the Minister for Education (Mr. Heffron)
1959
Opening of the Methodist church in Fisher St.  Minister was Rev. C. M. Drury
1959
Lindsay Park Public School opened
1959
Opening of the Illawarra Grammar School, a Church of England school for boys, with an enrolment of thirty-two
1961
Opening of £1-million Piccadilly Drive-in Shopping Centre
1962
The new Christian Brothers college, costing £80,000 and known as Edmund Rice College was officially opened at West Wollongong.
1962
The new brick extension to the Little Flower Parish School (St. Therese Catholic Primary School) was opened by the Catholic Bishop of Wollongong, Dr. T. McCabe
1963
Opening of the non-official post office on Yellagong Street “Millbrook”
1963
Primate of Australia, Archbishop Gough. officially opens the new St Mark's War Memorial Church of England
1963
Major new housing development is commenced. It will eventually cover 330 acres and take up to 10 years to complete.
1964
Inaugural meeting of the new West Wollongong Rotary Club.  It is the ninth club formed by Wollongong Rotary Club, receiving the Charter from District Governor, Mr. Frank Moorhouse, of Nowra
1964
Construction of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
1965
Division of the City of Greater Wollongong into 15 Wards.  West Wollongong falls on the boundary of Ward 3
1969
The Minister for Health, Mr Jago, officially opened the new $144,000 ambulance station.  The station moved from Church Street where it had been since 1933 to Rosemont Street
1975
Gilmore Estate land sale.  Estate covers: Fisher Street, England Street, Gilmore Street and Reserve Street.
Page last updated: