Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

Quick Launch

Wongawilli

Print this Page

Wongawilli - History

"Wonga" is an aboriginal word meaning "a native pigeon"

 

This page is currently being developed by library staff.

Wongawilli - Timeline

  
Event
1906
Coal mine to be opened at Wongawilli, 3 1/2 miles from Dapto Railway Station and 7 miles from Wollongong.
1910
40 horses and 10 bullocks with 8 drays were drawing coal to Dapto Station. 40 tons of coal a day was being produced
1916
Wongawilli mine was opened and developed by G & C Hoskins Limited to suppy coke to Lithgow. 150 tons at grass face. A railway to transport the coke was needed. Hoskins sought a railway link from Wongawilli
1916
The Railway to Wongawilli was being built and excavations for the coke works were proceeding
1917
Men arrived to work at the Wongawilli mine. 20 out of 40 coke ovens were completed and in use. The incline to the colliery was also ready for use.
1918
Wongawilli sent 1600 tons of coke from the coke works, a crusher was installed to crush coal for coking.
1922
After a closure whilst the works were improved, there were now 52 ovens available. Direct Dapto to mine transport was required and a school needed.
1923
The coke trade was brisk with 27 trucks to Lithgow. 3 coal washing machines were installed and a direct road to Dapto was needed.
1925
An Epsicopalian Church Hall was erected 'a few years ago' close to the mine
1927
Wongawilli Public School was opened in the Church Hall and the Wongawilli Parents and Citizens Association formed.
1927
Additional 25 coke ovens were operational making 105
1928
Wongawilli Public School was opened by W. Davies ex. M.L.A.
1939
Mount Pleasant Loco No. 2. to Wongawilli Coke Ovens
1943
Mount Pleasant Loco No. 1. to Wongawilli Coke Ovens
1951
85 ton AIS electric diesel loco hauls load from Wongawilli to steel works
1976
Wongawilli Public School closed
1993
Wongawilli Colliery was consolidated with Kemira and Nebo mines to become the Elouera Colliery officially opened on 1 February 1993.
2004
Proposal to turn Elouera Colliery into a tourist coalmine after its planned closure.
2005
BHP Billiton stops production at Elouera in June. In October contract miner Delta begins extraction of coal under an agreement with BHP Billiton.
2005
Wongawilli suburb boundaries finalised and gazetted by the Geographical Names Board.
2007
BHP Billiton sells Elouera Colliery to Gujaret NRE. Gujaret NRE re-christens the Elouera mine as the NRE Wongawilli Colliery.
Page last updated: