Public art enhances the unique identity and contemporary image of Wollongong by:
- expressing local identity and distinctiveness
- improving and animating public space
- enhancing the local economy
- developing community spirit and pride.
We coordinate and project manage public art across the city and provide advice to businesses and organisations interested in implementing public art projects. We can provide:
- a register of artists
- advice on processes for employing artists and drafting contracts
- a public art guide to promote our local collection
- a register of outdoor cultural material with detailed information on each artwork in the city.
Our Public Art Strategy 2016-2021 provides a clear vision and strategy to ensure public art projects across our city provide maximum community benefit.
You can read the overview or full versions of the strategy below:
Wollongong’s Public Art Collection provides an insight into our city’s vibrant social life, history, and environments. The collection showcases exciting and innovative artworks created by contemporary local and national artists, and offers an exciting way to discover our innovative city.
Explore Wollongong's collection on our mobile-friendly Public Art website.
Expressions of Interest
Public Art Advisory Panel
Wollongong City Council is currently inviting expressions of interest for membership of the Public Art Advisory Panel. The panel will consist of a diverse group of professionals in the industry to provide independent advice and the implementation of the Public Art strategy. Membership will be for a term of up to two years, with the option to extend for one more year.
We are seeking up to four panel members with a range of the skills including:
- expertise in visual arts, public art, curatorial skills, architecture, design or similar
- experience in sourcing sponsorship, philanthropy or other partnership opportunities
- close connections to the Wollongong area.
To apply, please fill out an expression of interest form below and you may be asked to attend an interview.
Public Art Advisory Panel Expression of Interest
Applications close on 14 August 2017.
For further information please contact Armando Reviglio by email at email@example.com or call (02) 4227 7111.
Curio Gallery - Crown Street Mall
Artists are invited to submit an Expression of Interest to exhibit artworks in the Curio Gallery space, which is two large display windows on Church Street near the junction with Crown Street, in Crown Street Mall, Wollongong
This is an exciting opportunity for local artists to exhibit their work in a high pedestrian area, and create a dynamic and exciting environment in the CBD.
For details, please read the Artist Brief below:
Expressions of Interst must include:
- A cover letter (no more than two pages) addressing the criteria outlined in the Artist Brief
- Artist/s' CV (no more than two pages)
- Examples of current or relevant artwork (Maximum 10 PDF images emailed or on CD).
- Concept idea / artwork for the project.
Applications for this project will close at 5pm on Monday 7 August 2017.
Wollongong City Council
Locked Bag 8821
WOLLONGONG DC NSW 2500.
For further information contact Sue Bessell on (02) 4227 7599.