Public art enhances the unique identity and contemporary image of Wollongong by:
- expressing local identity and distinctiveness
- improving and animating public space
- enhancing the local economy
- developing community spirit and pride.
We coordinate and project manage public art across the city and provide advice to businesses and organisations interested in implementing public art projects. We can provide:
- a register of artists
- advice on processes for employing artists and drafting contracts
- a public art guide to promote our local collection
- a register of outdoor cultural material with detailed information on each artwork in the city.
Our Public Art Strategy 2016-2021 provides a clear vision and strategy to ensure public art projects across our city provide maximum community benefit.
You can read the overview or full versions of the strategy below:
Wollongong’s Public Art Collection provides an insight into our city’s vibrant social life, history, and environments. The collection showcases exciting and innovative artworks created by contemporary local and national artists, and offers an exciting way to discover our innovative city.
Explore Wollongong's collection on our mobile-friendly Public Art website.
Expressions of Interest
City Works Crib Caravans Mural/Art Project 2017-2018
Council is seeking to commission artists to develop original designs and artworks for our City Works Crib Caravans, which are located throughout the LGA at various job sites as required.
Expressions of Interest are now invited for this project. Applications must include:
- A cover letter (no more than two pages) addressing the criteria outlined in the Artist Brief above
- Artist/s CV (no more than two pages)
- Examples of current or relevant artwork (Maximum 10 PDF images) emailed or provided on CD
- Concept design for the project.
Submissions close on Sunday 31 December 2017.
Please send all Expressions of Interest marked ‘Private & Confidential’ to:
City Works Crib Caravan Art Project 2017-2018
Community Cultural & Economic Development
Wollongong City Council
Locked Bag 8821
WOLLONGONG DC NSW 2500
For further information call Lila Dimoski on (02) 42277111.