Cat Ownership
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

All council websites and online services will be unavailable from 5:30pm today for essential maintenance

Cat Ownership

Print this Page

All cats in NSW must be microchipped and registered on the NSW Companion Animals Register.  You’ll find information on pet registration and microchipping here.

Desexing your cat isn’t compulsory in NSW, but it’s strongly recommended as there are too many unwanted or unowned animals born each year. Desexing your animal has benefits, as well. Cats who’ve been desexed are:

  • Less likely to stray
  • Less likely to fight or be aggressive
  • And reduced antisocial behaviour like spraying to mark their territory

Plus, there’s a financial incentive. The lifetime registration fee of a desexed animal is significantly lower than the fee for a non-desexed animal. For more information , visit our animal registration page.

It’s best to get your cat desexed before it’s six months old. Cats can be desexed when they’re as young as eight weeks old, and it’s best for young female cats to have the operation before they’re four months old. Male cats should be desexed before they’re three months old to prevent antisocial behaviour. 

The Companion Animals Act doesn’t have any requirements that say cats must be kept inside, or that there’s a cat curfew. However, owners are encouraged to keep their cat inside at night to:

  • Reduce fighting or ‘yowling’ cat noises
  • Protect native wildlife
  • Stop your cat from being hurt in a cat fight. Fights can cause abscesses which need to be treated by vets
  • Protect them from traffic – cats don’t have any road sense

Cat owners are also responsible if their cat roams onto private property and causes damage, or of their pet makes noise which interferes with the peace, comfort or convenience of another person.

Cats make great pets, but they are banned from some areas. Cats are prohibited from public areas where food is produced or consumed and from Wildlife Protection Areas. These are areas set aside by Council and should be signposted.

If your cat has passed away, you’ll need to notify Council within 28 days of its death. This is so Council can update their records. You can let us know over the phone or by writing a letter or email. Just be sure to have the microchip details to hand.

Stray cats can be a problem. Council has a care facility for cats at the RSPCA Shelter in Industrial Road, Unanderra. It’s worth noting, though, that Council doesn’t pick up stray cats.

For more information, contact Council, or the RSPCA in Unanderra.

Page last updated: