Stray Dogs and Impounded Pets
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

All council websites and online services will be unavailable from 5:30pm today for essential maintenance

Stray Dogs and Impounded Pets

Print this Page
Image: Joi Ito. Creative Commons.

Animal Shelter

The RSPCA Illawarra Animal Welfare Centre looks after all impounded animals. Be sure to contact the RSPCA on 4271 3410 if you have lost your pet. Please note the phone is closed to the public each Thursday.

The RSPCA is located at Industrial Road, Unanderra. The public are welcome to the Animal Shelter on Thursdays to pick up strays and purchase animals.
To report stray or roaming animals contact us

Animals Seized

Animals that are seized out in a public place are either returned to their owners (where possible) or taken to the RPSCA in Industrial Drive, Unanderra.

Companion animals that are seized and held at this facility will incur a release fee that must be paid prior to the animal being released to the owner/agent.

This may also include any Veterinary Costs – as per veterinary charges.

Council Fees and Charges for impounded animals

  • $ 37 Release Fee (for release of seized companion animal)
  • $ 37 per day – sustenance / maintenance

All dogs must be registered at the time of the animal being released

Zero Tolerance Policy Approach for all Seized Dogs

“Seized” - includes all stray or roaming dogs whether the dog is returned home to the owner or transported to the RSPCA facility at Industrial Road, Unanderra.

Dog owners will be issued with a Penalty Infringement notice under the zero tolerance policy. (Own dog uncontrolled in public place-not dangerous dog) Companion Animal Act 1998 – Section 13.

Dog owners will be issued with an infringement penalty notice for those dogs not wearing a collar and tag . (Dog without collar / name tag- not dangerous dog)  Companion Animals Act 1998 – Section 12.

These infringements will be issued by mail to the identified owner of the dog.

Enquiries relating the issuing and review of Penalty Infringement notices are to be made to Revenue NSW​ which is responsible for the administration and collection of fines issued by councils. See the reverse of you penalty infringement notice for options.

Page last updated: