Being a pet owner is extremely rewarding, but it is also a big responsibility. As well as caring for a companion animal, owners are responsible for their pet’s behaviour and registration.
On the following pages you'll find information and useful links on owning domestic pets like cats and dogs. There's also a rundown of the legal requirements of registering your pets, and details on keeping chickens.
Responsible Pet Ownership Microchipping Program 2015
We've been successful in securing a $15,000 grant under the NSW Office of Local Government Responsible Pet Ownership Program. This will help us fund a subsidised microchipping program for eligible pensioners and low income earners.
The program will also provide education sessions for the general community to increase awareness of responsible pet ownership issues, and will involve the RSPCA and Housing NSW as program partners.
Eligibility for free microchipping
The program will target suburbs with a large number of stray and non-desexed companion animals, although any local resident low income earners are eligible to participate.
Photo identification, proof of eligibility as a Wollongong LGA resident, and as a pensioner, low income earner (eg Low Income Health Care Card), or full-time student ID (over 18 years old) will need to be provided on the day.
Microchipping is free for residents who qualify, however a gold coin donation is encouraged in support of the RSPCA.
All dogs must be collared and on a leash and cats will need to be transported in an appropriate, secure carry cage.
Community Event Thirroul Beach Reserve
Cliff Parade, south of the pool, Thirroul
Tuesday 8 September 2015, 12 – 3pm
- Free microchipping for eligible Wollongong resident pensioners and low income earners. Bring proof of eligibility as outlined above. Gold coin donations for the RSPCA are encouraged.
- Free “Check Your Chip” will be available for all existing pet owners to update contact details and check pet information on the spot.
- Free health checks and discount vouchers for local pet care services.
- Discounted vaccinations, nail trims and gland expressions, on the spot services from $5.
- Interactive demonstrations and free expert tips for a healthier, happier pet with local vets, animal trainers and the RSPCA team. Issue specific talks, loads of information and Q&A sessions.
For more information call us on (02) 4227 7111.