We are firmly committed to making Wollongong a sustainable city, within the national and international context of sustainable development.
We take seriously our role to:
- reduce our ecological / carbon footprint and impact on the environment
- lead by example in implementing projects that support sustainability in our city.
Sustainability has been defined as “meeting the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs” (Brundtland Commission 1987).
What's on - Workshops, events and how to become involved
To assist the community in reducing their impact on the environment, Council frequently offers a number of workshops, events and educational programs for you to become involved in. These range from backyard chook keeping workshops and cooking classes, through to bushwalks and educational activities.
Download the latest Sustainable Wollongong Calendar of Events below.
Sustainable Wollongong Newsletter November-December 2011
To subscribe to receive a monthly Sustainable Wollongong newsletter and Calendar of Events, email email@example.com
Sustainability and Our Environment
Council focuses on sustainability and our natural environment within the context of our local government area, and also within the wider Illawarra Community. Council aims to protect and enhance our environment through a number of programs, services and facilities including:
Environmental Sustainability in Council
Council is currently working on a number of corporate projects to reduce its impact on our surrounding environment. A selection of these projects include:
- Implementation of Water and Energy Savings Action Plans. These actions plans identify Council's top ten water/ energy consuming facilities and outline Council's response and actions to reduce their water/ energy usage.
- Monitoring of Council's energy, water and fuel usage and greenhouse gas emissions resulting from the day to day functions and services provided by Council.
- Incorporation of environmental sustainability criteria into Council's purchasing procedures.
Case Study - Enhancing the energy efficiency of Council's Administration Building, Wollongong City Council
The Local Government and Shires Associations of New South Wales, in conjunction with Wollongong City Council produced a case study outlining Council's active steps taken to improve the overall operational efficiency of the administration building. To download the case study below, click below.
Completed Environmental Sustainability Programs
Sustainable Illawarra aimed at helping residents of Wollongong, Shellharbour and Kiama Council areas to live more sustainably at home. This was a three year project funded from $2.2 million recieved from NSW Governments Environmental Trust. In addition, the three Councils also provided significant in-kind support and over 30 Council staff were involved in delivering the project from August 2007 – August 2010.
Many amazing achievements towards creating a sustainable future for the Illawarra were made through the Sustainable Illawarra project including:
- The delivery of the Sustainability Begins at Home community education program – an incredible 8,000 residents came along to join in the 123 sustainability workshops and events held through the Sustainability Begins at Home project between June 2008 and June 2010.
- The creation of Illawarra Sustainability Roadmap and Sustainability Action Plans for the three Councils.
- The construction of a stormwater reuse facility at a high use public place or sports field in each of the three Council areas.