Catchment Area: Farmborough Heights, Dombarton, Kembla Grange, Wongawilli, Brownsville, Horsley, Kanahooka, Huntley, Cleveland, Dapto, Koonawarra, Penrose and Avondale.
Waterways: Mullet and Brooks Creeks
This catchment has experienced a number of major floods, the most recent in August 1996 which resulted in extensive damage to both public and private property.
Bewsher Consulting Pty Ltd was engaged to prepare a Flood Study, Floodplain Risk Management Study and Floodplain Risk Management Plan for this catchment area. These studies were completed in February 2010.
Study Documents Explained:
- Flood Study: defines the nature of the flood risk in the catchment area
- Floodplain Risk Management Study: identifies measures to reduce flood risk and the impacts of flooding on the community
- Floodplain Risk Management Plan: outlines recommended measures to best address the existing, future and continuing flood problems in the area; includes guidelines for all future developments in the area
- Implementation of Mitigation Works: explains what measures we have implemented so far
These studies were jointly funded by Council and the NSW State Government.
Review of Brooks Creek Flood Study / Floodplain Risk Management Study and Plan
Catchment Area: Kanahooka, Koonawarra and Dapto
Waterways: Brooks Creek
This catchment was partially modelled as part of the Mullet and Brooks Creek Flood Study in 2009. As part of that study, it was recommended that Brooks Creek be reviewed on its own. Council has just completed a tender process and has engaged SMEC Australia Pty Ltd to do this review.
- Review the existing Flood Study to define the nature of the flood risk in the catchment area.
- Review the Floodplain Risk Management Study to identify measures to reduce flood risk and the impacts of flooding on the community.
Progress of the Study:
- Council has engaged SMEC Australia Pty Ltd to reiew the flood study component
- Community consultation to obtain historical flooding information will be undertaken in the next few months which will help build a flood model of the catchment.
- Survey of culverts, bridges and creeks will be undertaken in the next few months to obtain information to build the flood models.