Flood Information
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

All council websites and online services will be unavailable from 5:30pm today for essential maintenance

Flood Information

Print this Page

Request flood information

We have extensive knowledge of flood levels from flood records and catchment flood studies. You can request a property's 149 certificates (Parts 2 and 5), a flood information report or visit our catchment strategies section to view our completed flood study reports.

Section 149 Certificates


A zoning certificate is officially called a Section 149 Certificate, and provides the information Council has on file about planning controls and other property issues affecting a particular piece of land. There are two types of Section 149 Certificates available:

  • A Section 149(2) Certificate shows the zoning of the property, its relevant state, regional and local planning controls and other property issues such as limited flooding information, land contamination and road widening.
  • Section 149(2) combined with 149(5) Certificates provide the same information but also include other data that may be useful to you, such as additional flooding information. 

When Council receives new flooding information we may update the Section 149 Certificate for a property. This may change how particular development standards and controls apply to a property.

 Application for a 149 Certificate

Flood Level Information Advice

We have historical flood level records and/or completed flood studies undertaken by Council for some properties. Please contact our Drainage Duty Officer prior to requesting this information to ensure that it is available as Council does not have such information for every property.

Reimbursement of monies is not possible if information is not available and request submitted prior to contacting Council's Drainage Duty Officer.

How do I apply?

There are two options to apply for Flood Level Information Advice:

Option 1. Complete a Request online

An online payment via credit card will be required to lodge your request.

Option 2. Complete a hard copy Flood Information Request Form

A payment of the appropriate fee (cash, credit card, cheque or money order) will be required prior to request being processed. (credit card payment over telephone is not available)

  • Return the form in person with payment to Council Customer Service Centre, Ground Floor 41 Burelli Street, Wollongong
  • Post the application form and payment to:

    Wollongong City Council
    Locked Bag 8821
    Wollongong NSW 2500

When will I get the information?

Please allow approximately 10 working days for the information to be sent to you.

Do I require any additional information to determine the effect of flooding on the property?

Surveyed ground levels of the property and buildings to AHD (Australian Height Datum) should also be obtained by the applicant.  This information along with the flood levels will enable you to determine the effect/depth of flooding, if any, on the property.

A suitably qualified professional engineer should be engaged to assist in the interpretation of the information provided by Council.


Flood Level Information and Your Property


If your property is flood affected, this may affect your property in a number of ways, for example property values, the cost and availability of insurance and what you can build on your property.
If you propose to develop your property, we recommend undertaking thorough research into all of the planning requirements that apply to the land, including checking the electronic housing code system to see what exempt and complying development you are able to do.
More information on how flooding information affects your property can be found in the Flooding and Your Property sheet [106 KB].

Flood Classifications

Properties in floodplains can be classified according to their levels of potential flood risk. The risk precinct will help determine what types of development and land uses are allowed on a property. 

High Flood Risk Precinct: land which is subject to a high hydraulic hazard (the hazard arising from the depth and velocity of storm water) in a 100 year flood event plus all land within a 10m corridor from the top of a creek bank. This could mean that there would be a possible danger to personal safety, able bodied adults may have difficulty wading to safety, evacuation by trucks may be difficult, or there may be a potential for significant structural damage to buildings. This is an area of higher hazard where stricter controls may be applied.  

Medium Flood Risk Precinct: your property can be inundated with a 100 year flood, however conditions are not likely to be hazardous. There is a significant risk of flood damage, but this can be minimised by applying appropriate development controls.  

Low Flood Risk Precinct: your property would not be inundated with a 100 year flood but still has a very slight chance of inundation from larger and rarer floods - the Probable Maximum Flood (PMF). If you are a residential property owner, there will be virtually no change to how you may develop your property. However, there may be controls on the location of essential services such as hospitals, evacuation centres, nursing homes and emergency services within the precinct.

Flood risk precinct maps are only available in catchments where studies have been completed. For further information, refer to catchment strategies page.

For information relating  to future development on flood prone lands, you are advised that Council’s requirements are contained in Council’s Wollongong Development Control Plan 2009 (Chapter E13 – Floodplain Management) and the NSW Government’s Floodplain Development Manual 2005.

Related Documents

Flood FAQ Sheet.pdfFlood FAQ Sheet155 KB
Flood Information Brochure.pdfFlood Information Brochure1611 KB
Flood Magnet.pdfFlood Magnet96 KB
Flooding and Your Property sheet.pdfFlooding and Your Property sheet106 KB
(More Documents...)
Page last updated: