We want to help you make your neighbourhood an even better place to live by supporting people to establish verge gardens.
Throughout the COVID 19 pandemic, gardening continues to be a popular and beneficial activity. It's great for the environment and gives us an opportunity to get some fresh air, exercise and spend time outside.
We’re looking for ideas which will bring people together and help neighbours get to know each other by sharing a gardening project.
Successful applicants will get a $250 Greenplan voucher to buy plants for your project from Wollongong Botanic Garden's nursery. There are 20 vouchers available.
Application have now closed. Thanks to everyone who applied, we'll be in touch soon.
Questions about this program
Anyone can apply, as long as you live within the Wollongong Local Government Area and you have at least two friends or neighbours who share your idea.
Local community groups can apply, but this grant is not for larger community organisations that receive government funding.
A neighbourhood could include a street, a few houses, a group, or a place where you socialise.
Before you apply, you'll need to come up with an idea and a plan for your verge garden.
Our Verge Gardens page has guidelines and examples to help you plan your project.
On the application form, we ask you to describe your project and include a simple sketch of your plan.
A panel of Council Officers will look at the applications and make a report to Council for approval of successful applications.
The applications will be reviewed against the following criteria.
- Must be based in the Wollongong Local Government Area.
- Need to be community members with a shared idea, part of a community group, or representing a small community organisation (not a government agency or a large non-government or community organisation).
- Garden plan in line with Council's Verge Garden Guidelines PDF, 1798.16 KB
- Connects people and/or strengthens the neighbourhood
- Builds gardening knowledge and/or skills.
We'll send you a letter of offer and you'll be asked to sign an agreement.
The voucher will be sent to the person named on your application as the project co-ordinator.
You can then take the voucher to one of the Botanic Garden's Greenplan Plant Sales to buy your plants and get started.
You'll also be asked to take photos of your verge garden project and share them with us!
For more information about this program, please email or call our Engagement Officer, Jane Caldwell, on (02) 4227 8830.
- Online Services
- Household Recycling and Waste
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- Roof Cleaning and Restoration
- On-site Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Addressing
- Wood Heaters
- Activity Applications
- Property Information
- Book a Space
Apply for a Grant
- Bands and Choirs
- Community Events
- Community Events Quick Response Grants
- Connecting Neighbours Grants
- Connecting Neighbours - Verge Garden Grants
- Creating Connections - High School Grants
- Creative Wollongong Quick Response Grants
- Economic and Industry Grants
- Heritage Grants
- Live Music Quick Response Grants
- Minor Donations
- NAIDOC Week Grants
- Small Cultural Grants
- Sports Grants
- Filming and Photography
- Language Services
- Update Your Details