Make your garden greener by picking up some gems from our Native Plant Sales.
We offer a wide range of ground covers, grasses, trees and shrubs that are native to the Wollongong area, as well as other Australian natives. You can check our plant list below a week before each sale to find out what will be available. Worm farms and compost bins can also be bought at our sales.
Our expert horticulturalists are on hand at each sale to help with advice about plant selection for your garden.
The Friends of Wollongong Botanic Garden also hold a stall at our sales. Plants available from the Friends vary, and can include herbs or exotic plants. Profits go towards supporting a range of projects for the Garden.
65 Northfields Avenue, Keiraville
(please note there is no access to the Nursery from within the Garden, you must enter via Northfields Ave).
Our next plant sales are shown below, or see our calendar for a full list of sales and other events.
Below is the plant list for 19 March 2021.
Plants are listed with their scientific name in italics, followed by the common name in brackets.
Illawarra Local Native Species
- Abrophyllym ornans (Native Hydrangea)
- Acacia maidenii (Maidens Wattle)
- Acacia stricta (Hop Wattle)
- Acmena smithii var. minor (Dwarf Lilly Pilly)
- Acronychia oblongifolia (White Aspen)
- Ajuga australis (Australian Bugle)
- Alectryon subcinereus (Native Quince)
- Allocasuarina verticillata (Drooping She-oak)
- Alpinia caerulea (Native Ginger)
- Archontophoenix cunninghamiana (Bangalow Palm)
- Asplenium australasicum (Birds Nest Fern)
- Austrostipa ramosissima (Stout Bamboo Grass)
- Baeckia imbricata (Heath Myrtle)
- Banksia ericifolia (Heath-leaved Banksia)
- Banksia integrifolia (Coast Banksia)
- Banksia serrata (Saw Banksia)
- Blechnum cartilagineum (Gristle Fern)
- Blechnum nudum (Fishbone Water Fern)
- Brachychiton acerifolius (Illawarra Flame Tree)
- Brachyscome angustifolia (Grass Daisy)
- Brachyscome multifida (Rock Daisy)
- Breynia oblongifolia (Coffee Bush)
- Bulbine bulbosa (Native Leek)
- Callitris rhomboidea (Port Jackson Pine)
- Carex appressa (Tall Sedge)
- Carex brunnea (Greater Brown Sedge)
- Carex longibrachiata (Drooping Sedge)
- Casuarina torulosa (Rose She-oak)
- Celtis paniculata (Native Celtis)
- Chrysocephalum apiculatum (Yellow Buttons)
- Cissus antartica (Water Vine)
- Correa alba (White Correa)
- Crinum pedunculatum (Swamp Lily)
- Croton vereauxii (Green Native Cascarilla)
- Cupaniopsis anacardioides (Tuckeroo)
- Cyathea cooperi (Scaly Tree Fern)
- Cymbopogon refractus (Barb Wire Grass)
- Deeringia amaranthoides (Shrubby Deeringia)
- Dianella caerulea (Blue Flax-lily)
- Dichelachne crinita (Long-haired Plume Grass)
- Dodonaea viscosa (Hop Bush)
- Doodia aspera (Rasp Fern)
- Echinopogon caespitosus (Tufted Hedgehog Grass)
- Emmenosperma alphitonioidoes (Yellow Ash)
- Enchylaena tomentosa (Ruby Saltbush)
- Ethretia accuminata (Koda)
- Eupomatia laurina (Bolwarra)
- Eustrephus latifolius (Wombat Berry)
- Ficus marcrophylla (Moreton Bay Fig)
- Ficus rubiginosa (Port Jackson Fig)
- Ficus superba (Deciduous Fig)
- Geitonoplesium cymosum (Scrambling Lily)
- Gmelina leichhardtii (White Beech)
- Goodia lotifolia (Golden Tip)
- Goodenia ovata-prostrate (Hop Goodenia)
- Goodenia ovata-non prostrate form (Hop Goodenia)
- Gynochthodes jasminoides (Sweet Morinda)
- Hardenbergia violacea (Purple Coral Pea)
- Hardenbergia violacea ('Windang Island Form')
- Hedycarya angustifolia (Austral Mulberry)
- Hibbertia aspera (Rough Guinea Flower)
- Hibbertia obtusifolia (Hoary Guinea Flower)
- Homalanthus stillingifolius (Small-leaved Bleeding Heart)
- Indigofera australis (Native Indigo)
- Kennedia rubicunda (Dusky Coral Pea)
- Leptospermum polygalifolium (Tantoon)
- Litsea reticulata (Bolly Gum)
- Livistona australis (Cabbage Tree Palm)
- Lomandra longifolia (Spiny-headed Mat-rush)
- Maclura cochinchinensis (Cockspur Thorn)
- Meleleuca hypericifolia (Hillock Bush)
- Microleana stipoides (Weeping Grass)
- Olearia microphylla (Small-leaved Daisy Bush)
- Ozothamnus diosmifolius (Dogwood)
- Pandorea jasminioides (Bower of Beauty)
- Parachidendron pruinosum (Snow Wood)
- Pennantia cunninghamii (Brown Beech)
- Pennisetum alopecuroides (Swamp Foxtail Grass)
- Pittosporum multiflorum (Orange Thorn)
- Pittosporum revolutum (Wild Yellow Jasmine)
- Platysace lanceolata (Shrubby Platysace)
- Plectranthus graveolens (Bush Basil)
- Poa labillardierei (Tussock-grass)
- Podocarpus elatus (Plum Pine)
- Pollia crispata (Pollia)
- Pollia crispata dwarf (Dwarf Pollia)
- Polyscias murrayi (Pencil Cedar)
- Pratia pedunculata (Matted Pratia)
- Prostanthera incisa var. sieberi (Cut-leaf Mintbush)
- Prostanthera incisa var. sieberi 'White Form' (Mint Bush)
- Rhagodia candolleana (Coastal Salt Bush)
- Sambucus australasica (Native Elderberry)
- Sloanea australis (Maiden's Blush)
- Solanum stelligerum (Devil's Needles)
- Synoum glandulosum (Scentless Rosewood)
- Telopea speciosissima (NSW Warratah)
- Themeda australis (Kangaroo Grass)
- Tristaniopsis laurina (Water Gum)
- Westringia fruticosa (Coastal Rosemary)
- Xerochyrsum bracteata (Yellow Paper Daisy)
- Zieria smithii (Sandfly Zieria)
Australian Native Species
- Acacia fimbriata (Fringed Wattle)
- Acacia floribunda (Gossamer Wattle)
- Anigozanthos (Kangaroo Paw (green form))
- Anigozanthos cultivars (Kangaroo Paw)
- Callistemon sp and cultivars (Bottlebrush)
- Cordyline petiolaris (Broad-leaved Palm Lily)
- Correa sp. and cultivars (Native Fuschia)
- Davidsonia pruriens (Davidson's Plum)
- Graptophyllum illicifolium (Mt Blackwood Holly)
- Grevillea sp and cultivars (Grevillea)
- Harpullia pendula (Tulipwood)
- Leptospermum sp. and cultivars (Tea Tree)
- Lomandra hystrix (Green Mat-rush)
- Melaleuca 'Claret Tops' (Honey Myrtle)
- Myporum parvifolium (Creeping Boobialla)
- Philotheca myoporoides (Wax Flower)
- Pratia puberula (Alpine Pratia)
- Prostanthera ('Mauve Mantle')
- Scaevola 'Pink Form' (Fan Flower)
- Scaevola purple (Fan Flower)
- Syzgium sp. and cultivars (Lillypilly)
- Thryptomene saxicola (F. C. Payne)
- Verticordia plumosa (Plumed Featherflower)
- Westringia sp. and cultivars (Coastal Rosemary)
- Zieria prostrata (Carpet Star)
Current prices for our Native Plant Sales are shown below. Prices include GST.
You can pay by card (not AMEX) or cheque. Cash is not accepted.
Bring your current rates notice as proof that you’re a resident of the Wollongong City Council area to buy plants at these sales.
Please note, a 0.5% merchant fee applies to all payments made by credit/debit card.
We happily accept the return of pots from any plants you've bought at one of our sales, and we will reuse them.
Please note, we don't accept damaged pots or any pots that were bought elsewhere.
This program is on hold until February 2021
Every financial year, not-for-profit primary and secondary schools, and community centres operating on community land in the Wollongong local government area can request up to 30 plants to be donated from the Botanic Garden's Greenplan Nursery.
We cannot accommodate requests for specific plants. The donation will include a mixture of native grasses, ground covers, trees and shrubs from our available supplies. If you have a specific plant request, you can purchase plants directly from the nursery as a special order (see 'Purchasing Plants' below) or come along to one of our sale days.
Submit your donation request
If you are interested in receiving free plants for your school or community centre please complete the following:
- Email us to request a donation. Note: we cannot accommodate requests for specific plants.
- Once your request has been approved, we will contact you to arrange a collection time. All orders for the remainder of the year will be scheduled for collection early in the new year when stock will be at its best.
Collecting plant donations
Bring a letterhead from the organisation or school authorising you to collect the plants on their behalf, along with photo ID. Plants cannot be collected without this.
Collections must be pre-booked. Collection times are Monday to Friday 7.30am to 9am, 9.30am to 12pm, or 12.30pm to 2pm.
- Visit our Nursery: 63 Northfields Avenue in Keiraville (Gate 8) at your agreed collection date and time (see above).
- Make sure you have an authorisation letter and photo ID.
- If the gate is locked when you arrive, call 0419 273 818.