Notice: COVID-19 update – residents encouraged to get tested Read more.
Use space to open navigation items
Wollongong City Council

Assistance to Council Tenants

To help businesses that are negatively impacted by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, Council will consider applications for rent relief from commercial tenants of premises owned or managed by Council.

Any assistance considered or provided will be in accordance with the National Code of Conduct for Commercial Tenancies and associated New South Wales Regulations, including the Retail and Other Commercial Leases (COVID-19) Regulation 2020 (NSW). Any assistance must be compatible with relevant State legislation such as the Local Government Act 1993 and will only be for the pandemic period as defined under the relevant legislation.

Applications for Assistance will remain open during the pandemic period, until further notice.  Commercial Tenants are encouraged to lodge an application as soon as possible.

To demonstrate eligibility, tenants will need to provide Council with:

  • Tax returns and / or Business Activity Statements (BAS) to demonstrate an annual turnover of less than $50 million in 2018/2019.
  • Evidence of their eligibility for JobKeeper, or
  • Evidence of at least a 30 percent decline in turnover if the business is not receiving JobKeeper - for example, a business with casual staff of less than 12-months standing.

Tenants must provide Council with sufficient documentation to demonstrate the actual decline, in order to calculate rent reduction.

If an application is approved, tenants will be required to re-submit updated financial information each month to demonstrate that they still qualify for assistance.  A monthly review will determine whether turnover has increased since the initial assistance was provided.

If initial assistance is approved, this will be processed to 30 June 2020.  Further assistance will be considered and processed periodically as and when tenants submit further financial and other information.

Documents to include with your application

For previous years:

  • Audited financial statements (including profit and loss)
  • BAS Statements (lodged)
  • ATO documents (tax return).

For the current year:

  • Financial statements
  • Cash register receipts
  • Profit and loss statements, etc.

The Service NSW website also includes information that may assist you with this process.

When you're ready, use the button below to apply.

After you apply

You will receive an email from Council's Property Management team, acknowledging receipt of your application.

If the application is incomplete, and / or the necessary supporting documents have not been uploaded by you, our Property Management team will contact you and request more details or additional documents before your application can be acknowledged and processed.

If the application is complete and the all of the necessary supporting documents have been uploaded, we will process your application as soon as possible.

When a decision has been made, we will contact you in writing.

If you have any questions, please call Council during business hours on (02) 4227 7111.