The links below are provided to assist local businesses responding to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
As conditions are changing quickly, you should monitor government announcements regularly for the latest advice and changes to rules for business operations.
- Australian Government website: essential information and updates related to COVID-19.
- Australian Government Treasury: support for businesses, including cash flow and financial relief
- Business.gov.au: Information, grants, services and support from across government to help your business succeed.
- Australian Taxation Office COVID-19 information
- Department of Health: updates and advice. You can also call the Department of Health on 1800 020 080.
- Australian Trade and Investment Commission: information for exporters. You can also call Austrade on 13 28 78 and follow the prompts for 'export enquiries' (within Australia).
- Department of Home Affairs: border and immigration information.
- Services Australia: support and information to help people affected by coronavirus. Includes Centrelink and Medicare information.
- Australian Maritime Safety Authority: advice for the maritime industry.
- NSW Government 24 Hour COVID-19 Hotline: 13 77 88. Businesses impacted by COVID-19 can call 13 28 46.
- NSW Government COVID-19 information and advice for community and businesses in NSW
- Business Connect: free advisory services
- SafeWork NSW: Coronavirus advice and guidance for NSW workplaces
- Service NSW information for business and employees, or call 13 28 46
- Fair Trading: FAQs on customer and business rights
- NSW Health: updates and advice for those in the health sector
- NSW Food Authority: advice for food businesses
- Department of Planning, Industry & Environment: updates on development rules to protect the health, safety and wellbeing of the public during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Liquor & Gaming NSW: coronavirus (COVID-19) FAQs for the liquor and gaming industries.
The NSW Government has also prepared a COVID-19 Business Support Fact Sheet PDF, 141.19 KB outlining resources to support businesses.
If you are looking to start a business, alter business operations to suit the changing situation, or just need general information about business planning rules, please see our Planning Research page. You can also email Council's Small Business Planning team for advice.
Assistance to Council's commercial tenants
To help businesses that are negatively impacted by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, Council will consider applications for rent relief from commercial tenants of premises owned or managed by Council. See our Assistance to Council Tenants page for details.
Business response webinar series
To support our local business community during the COVID-19 pandemic, Council has partnered with the Illawarra Business Chamber to deliver a series of free webinars. This series is produced by local business experts, and focuses on adaptation.
Webinars can be viewed on Illawarra Business Chamber's YouTube channel.
Episode 1 – Getting Online ASAP: Our first episode guides you through establishing an e-commerce presence for the first time. Learn how to:
- Adapt your business to survive and thrive
- Change the delivery of your product or service
- Launch your business online, and
- Alter your marketing communications.
Episode 2 - Social Media Marketing in the Current Climate: This episode discusses the importance of social media marketing and explains how to promote your business and build a following across your social channels. Learn about:
- Where your audience are and where you should be showing up
- How to integrate social media with your website and other platforms,
- What to post and when to post it, and
- How to quickly adapt your marketing plan.
Episode 3 - Reducing Rental Stress: This episode aims to provide guidance on arguably the most complex and ambiguous aspect of business response to the current crisis, commercial tenancies, answering the questions at the forefront of many business owners' minds:
- What is the national code of conduct for tenants and landlords?
- Who does it apply to, and how does it work in practice?
- How should I approach my landlord?
Episode 4 - Managing cash flow: This episode guides us through the three key scenarios Illawarra businesses find themselves in, and what a sensible cashflow management strategy looks like for each scenario, including:
- The importance of cash flow in the current climate
- Practical tips for cash flow planning
- What your business can be doing right now and into the future.
Episode 5 – Planning the Way Forward: This episode walks through the essentials of a marketing plan to suit any cashflow position, how to take advantage of opportunities to affordably advertise and tactics to excel in a cluttered digital marketing environment.
- The importance of planning and the way forward out of hibernation
- The role of digital and PR as part of the marketing mix
- Mainstream advertising and professional practice marketing.
Council media releases
Media releases relating to the evolving coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic are shown below.
- Coronavirus Update 13/03/20
- Unanderra Library & Community Centre gets a new look 22/06/20
- Staying safe for the 2020/21 swim season 23/09/20
- Council offers financial boost to sporting clubs 31/08/20
- Wollongong Art Gallery Reopens 01/07/20
- Council closes playspaces and skateparks 29/03/20
- Council closes supervised swimming pools 25/03/20
- Customer Service and Wollongong Library to reopen 05/06/20
- Keep Safe this long weekend 03/06/20
- Council Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update Monday 16 March 16/03/20
Older media releases are available on our News page.
More information about changes to other Council services is available on our Coronavirus Updates page.
- COVID-19 Information for Businesses
- Assistance to Council Tenants
- Invest Wollongong
- Business Information and Support
- Business Permits and Regulations
- Tenders, EOIs and Quotations
- Organise an Event
- Sponsor Local Communities
- Social Enterprises