Spin out at the skate park
3pm-8pm, Friday 23 Sept. Free entry!
WET WEATHER UPDATE - 1:30pm, 23 Sept:
- Food stalls are on site and ready to serve you from 3pm – with fairy floss, gelato, Mediterranean wraps and burgers, and the Lion’s sausage sizzle.
- The HORCC Helensburgh Off Road Cycle Club program is on.
- There’ll be music and roving performers to entertain you.
- The Monster Skate Workshops are going ahead – so bring your bike, scooter or skateboard (and helmet!) along.
- A circus playground and try-it-out Aerial Rig is ready for action in the car park.
As the world’s best cyclists compete in Wollongong for the UCI Road World Championships, our city will come alive with the sights and sounds of Spin Fest, a community celebration with something for everyone.
Kick off the school holidays with a bang at a free and all-ages event right here in Helensburgh. There's a packed program of workshops and demos from skate, scooter and BMX pros, food trucks, circus playground and entertainment. Cheer on the 'best tricks' skate competition, meet local legend Kai Sakakibara, and get involved in a dress up your bike comp!
Don't miss this high action lineup:
Monster Skate Workshops + Competition
Get inspired and have a go with the Monster Skate crew! Join a free workshop and learn how to skate, scooter or do BMX tricks - then test your skills in the skate park. All gear provided, or BYO wheels if you prefer.
The Monster coaches will join South Coast Skateboards team riders Wiley Drake and Jed Lungu - both smashing it in their divisions across NSW - for some skills demonstrations.
Wrap up your afternoon by showing off your new tricks in an amateur competition at the park - all ages, abilities and wheels encouraged with prizes up for grabs!
Meet Kai Sakakibara
Helensburgh's very own local hero, BMX legend Kai Sakakibara, will make an appearance at the event! Stop by and say hello, or watch as Kai helps judge the best tricks at the skate park.
Dress Up Your Bike Parade
Do you have the best bike in the 'Burgh? Dress up your bike, scooter, or anything with wheels and join the parade at Spin Helensburgh! We want to see wheels with wow. Think solar fairy lights, streamers, cardboard cut-outs, balloons, toys or tinsel – there will be prizes awarded for the most creative and colourful entries.
The parade kicks off at 5:10pm!
Have you ever wanted to run away to the circus? Come and try your hand at juggling, spinning plates and if you’re brave enough, the aerial rig!
Enjoy performances from Helensburgh’s own Treetop Arts, and an aerial performance by Treetop Circus' Charlie Truscott. Stick around for the finale of the evening when Heidi Hoops and Emma Kourey team up for an LED hoops spectacular!
HORCC Community Event
Head over to the nearby Mountain Bike trails for more action, where Helensburgh Off Road Cycling Club will host:
- RideAus workshops and demonstrations.
- Short films in the HORCC Marquee.
- Track Stand competition. Entry is a gold coin donation, and open to the public.
- Check out the latest Specialized bikes and take a short demo ride.
Be sure to bring your helmet and bike! All HORCC activities run 3pm-6pm, with the Track Stand competition at 4:45pm. Follow the HORCC Facebook page for more information.
Don't miss a moment
|3:00pm-8:00pm||Food Trucks, Community stalls + DJ Mashy P||Rex Jackson Oval|
|3:00pm-8:00pm||Circus Works playground and drop zone||Rex Jackson Oval|
|3:00pm-6:00pm||HORCC (Helensburgh Off-Road Cycle Club) Mountain Bike Activities||MTB Tracks + Rex Jackson Oval|
|3:30pm-5:30pm||Monster Workshops - drop-in Skate, Scooter and BMX||Car park|
|4:00pm||Welcome to Country||Rex Jackson Oval|
|4:10pm||Pro Skate, Scooter + BMX Demonstrations||Skate Park|
|4:30pm||Treetop Arts Performance||Rex Jackson Oval|
|5:00pm||Bike Altitude Aerial Performance - Treetop Circus (Charlie Truscott)||Rex Jackson Oval|
|5:10pm||Dress Your Bike Parade||Skate Park|
|5:40pm||Amateur Skate, Scooter + BMX tricks competition with Kai Sakakibara||Skate Park|
|6:00pm||Junkyard Beatz + Streetbeatz hiphop crew||Rex Jackson Oval|
|6:30pm||Pro Skate, Scooter + BMX Demonstrations - South Coast Skateboards||Skate Park|
|6:45pm||Gumaraa Aboriginal Dance Troupe||Rex Jackson Oval|
|7:20pm||Treetop Arts performance||Rex Jackson Oval|
|7:45pm||LED Hula Hoop spectacular - Heidi Hoops + Emma Kourey||Rex Jackson Oval|
|8:00pm||Close||Rex Jackson Oval|
Plan your visit
Spin Fest Helensburgh will take place across Helensburgh Skate Park and Rex Jackson Oval, Walker Street Helensburgh.
- On-street Parking: On-street parking is available on nearby streets.
- Buses: Bus Route 15 travels regularly from Stanwell Park to Helensburgh in both directions, connecting Helensburgh Train Station to the event site. The best stops to disembark are Cowper Street or Parkes Street. Bus routes and times may vary during the UCI Road World Championships weeks. For up to date service info, visit the Transport NSW info page, or download the Opal App.
- Trains: The nearest train station is Helensburgh station, a 15 minute bike ride away. Train arrivals usually coincide with the Route 15 bus into Helensburgh centre. For up to date service info download the Opal App, or search train timetables here
- Taxis: Book a taxi service from one of our local providers: Wollongong Radio Cabs and Illawarra Taxi Network
- Entry to Spin Helensburgh is FREE, and no tickets are required.
- This is an all ages event. Children must be accompanied by a supervising adult.
- Food trucks and nearby cafes will provide plenty of food and drink options during the event.
- If you'd prefer to bring your own, food and non-alcoholic drinks are permitted.
- This is an alcohol-free event. Glass bottles and alcoholic beverages are not permitted.
- Please note that Spin Fest Helensburgh is a general admission event, with limited seating provided.
- Feel free to bring along a picnic blanket if you'd like to sit.
Gear up for Spin Fest
Let's welcome the world to Wollongong this September! As the world’s best cyclists arrive for the UCI Road World Championships, we’re rolling out the fun with Spin Fest - a free program of family-friendly celebrations right across our city.