Wollongong City Libraries will occasionally assemble a list of recommended texts on a topic or event. These are selected from staff and community suggestions and present a great opportunity to dip your toe into unfamiliar territory, or brush-up on a topic you are passionate about.
Check back regularly for new titles and lists.
Wollongong City Libraries is committed to providing a welcoming, supportive and inclusive environment for everyone. To celebrate our lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer community, our staff have curated a list of favourite and lesser-known LGBTIQ texts. Each is available for borrowing in our catalogue.
- Alice Oseman, Heartstopper
- Andre Aciman, Call Me by Your Name
- Carmen Maria Mochado, In the Dream House
- Casey McQuiston, Red, White and Royal Blue
- Daniel Lavery, Something That May Shock and Discredit You
- David Levithan, Every Day
- Dean Atta, The Black Flamingo
- Emma Donoghue (ed), What Sappho Would Have Said: Four Centuries of Love Poems Between Women
- Gaby Dunn, Bury the Lede
- Hugh Ryan, When Brooklyn Was Queer
- Jeanette Winterson, Oranges are Not the Only Fruit
- Jeanette Winterson, Why be Happy When You Could be Normal
- Madeline Miller, The Song of Achilles
- Mariko Tamaki, Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
- Ocean Vuong, On Earth We are Briefly Gorgeous
- Rainbow Rowell, Carry On
- Sarah Gailey, Upright Women Wanted
- Sarah Waters, Tipping the Velvet
- Timothy Conigrave, Holding the Man
If there's a LGBTIQ work you think should be in our catalogue, suggest an item. 🏳️🌈
Try one of these websites for help finding a good read:
- Fantastic Fiction
- Good Reads
- Magpies: children's literature guide - please note, this site is for use on library computers only.
- NoveList Plus
- Reader's Advice
- Reading Ahead
- Who Else Writes Like...? Use your library card number to access this website.
Join a book club
Book clubs are a great way to challenge yourself and read something you might not have thought to pick up. We have more than a dozen book clubs across most of our libraries. Visit our Book Clubs page to find a group.
You can also check out our Book Club Conversations page for posts about reading ideas, book recommendations and more.