New play space open in Helensburgh
Children from Helensburgh Community Pre-School, Helensburgh Public School and Holy Cross Catholic Primary School got first dibs on the city’s new district play space at Charles Harper Park Helensburgh.
The children had the opportunity to give the equipment a good workout at the official opening on 22 October, as they were instrumental in planning and designing the playground and the creation of the artworks.
Wollongong City Lord Mayor Councillor Gordon Bradbery AM said the new play space adds a playful and natural environment for children and families and it reflects local history.
“Council has added a number of play features, with the design influenced by local children,’’ Cr Bradbery said. “This is an inclusive play space for all children and includes a wheelchair accessible trampoline, communication boards and a natural play area that features water pumps and a dry creek bed.
“The new district play space will provide a real attraction for children and families, as it is co-located with the local pool and new barbecue area. It is also a short walk from Helensburgh town centre.”
Council asked the children at Helensburgh what they wanted in a playground and they didn’t hold back. The new play space also includes:
- Play equipment offering graduated challenges and including interactive elements at ground level
- Public art panels celebrating local mining heritage and artwork created by local children
- New footpaths connecting to the recently upgraded accessible barbecue and picnic area
- Shade sails
- Ninja-Warrior-style obstacle course
- Advanced tree planting that will provide natural shade and informal play opportunities
- New seating and bike rack
Pictured: Wollongong City Lord Mayor Councillor Gordon Bradbery AM with Cr Leigh Colacino, and students [top row] Oliver Williams and Oscar Loveday, both in Year 6 at Helensburgh Public School, and [bottom row] Noah Chenhall, Year 6, and Hannah Robinson, Year 1, from Helensburgh Holy Cross Primary School.
For more information, contact Customer Service on 4227 7111.