Check in for playtime and exercise
We’re committed to supporting our community to safely exercise outdoors.
That’s why we’re rolling out QR code signage in our most popular playgrounds, in our skateparks and where we have free outdoor gym equipment.
The signage will be in place by this weekend, Saturday 4 and Sunday 5 September, and people are encouraged to check-in.
“We’re seeing COVID cases in our local government area and we all have a role to play in keeping our community members safe,’’ Wollongong City Lord Mayor Councillor Gordon Bradbery AM said.
“We’re all used to checking in at supermarkets, petrol stations and when buying a takeaway coffee. Now we’re just asking people to extend that to playgrounds, skateparks and if they’re using the outdoor gym equipment that’s available across the city.’’
The signage will be placed in prominent locations around the play and exercise spaces.
“We all need to continue to follow the Public Health Order and be socially distant, wear masks when appropriate and not congregate in these areas,’’ Cr Bradbery said.
“We also encourage people to think about a different playground if their usual one is busy or to go at a time when it’s quieter. The QR codes are just another link in the chain that will provide an additional layer of protection for our community and support efforts to get on top of this awful situation.’’
While not all playgrounds will feature QR codes, the ones that will are:
- Charles Harper Park, Waratah St, Helensburgh
- Stanwell Park Reserve, Station St, Stanwell Park
- Austinmer Beach, Lawrence Hargrave Dr, Austinmer
- Thirroul Beach Reserve, Cliff Pde, Thirroul
- Bulli Beach Reserve, Trinity Rd, Bulli
- Nicholson Park, Park Rd, Woonona
- Bellambi Point Playground, Robert Cram Dr, Bellambi
- Happy Valley Reserve, Dobie Ave, East Corrimal
- Towradgi Park, Towradgi Rd, Towradgi
- Fairy Meadow Beach Reserve, Elliots Rd, Fairy Meadow
- Stuart Park, Cliff Rd, North Wollongong
- Belmore Basin Playground, Marine Dr, Wollongong
- Lang Park, Marine Dr, Wollongong
- Wiseman’s Park, Gipps Rd, Gwynneville
- Wollongong Botanic Garden Playground, Murphy’s Ave, Gwynneville
- Figtree Oval, Princes Hwy, Figtree
- Kanahooka Park Playground, Lakeside Dr, Kanahooka
- Holborn Park, Holborn St, Berkeley
- King George V Park, Cowper St, Port Kembla
- Cringila Hills Playground, Lackawanna St, Cringila
- Windang Foreshore Playground, Fern St, Windang