Warrawong District Community Centre and Library
We're planning a new community centre and library for Warrawong. The Centre will also serve surrounding areas including Berkeley, Lake Heights, Cringila, Warrawong, Port Kembla, Primbee and Windang.
This will be a high-quality space that offers a wide range of services, and is inclusive, safe, welcoming and accessible. We're also working to make sure it's environmentally sustainable, and has flexible features to meet our community's needs for many decades ahead.
The new Warrawong District Community Centre and Library will be located on the corner of King and Greene Streets.
The new building will be located on a parcel of land that includes the site of the existing community centre on Greene Street plus several properties along King Street.
The design for this new community space was shaped by feedback from our community. We'd like to thank everyone who shared their great ideas and vision for this project.
We're also actively following the NSW Government’s Better Placed guidelines for high-quality public spaces.
The architect for this project, FJMT Studio, has prepared a concept design for the project with Council. Some key features of the design include:
- A green 'town square' alongside the community centre and library. This will include a large grassed area with trees and gardens, and a series of play, recreation, seating, and activity spaces.
- A large forecourt and a 'Community Verandah' with seating and steps overlooking the green space of the town square.
- New purpose-built library spaces offering books, magazines, DVDs and other resources, as well as free computers and WiFi. The library will also have activity areas for programs and events, and quiet spots to read and relax.
- A stepped auditorium that can be used for presentations and performance.
- A range of multi-functional rooms, including small and large meeting rooms, activity spaces, a children's area, quiet study and office areas, and a lounge.
- A large community hall with adjoining kitchen.
- Office spaces for Centre management, our community partners (the Warrawong Residents Forum and the Vietnamese Association), and Illawarra Legal Centre.
- A sensory room to provide a quiet space for people with disability and others who need a space to decompress and focus.
- A changing place for people with disability.
- Free public Wi-Fi throughout the building and library with 'plug and play' access to personal devices.
- Public art installations throughout the new building and town square
- A cafe opening onto the Community Verandah and Town Square.
- 'End of trip' facilities to encourage active transport like bike-riding and walking.
- Connections to surrounding areas through a series of pedestrian and shared laneways. These spaces are designed to link with the separate Cowper Street Renewal project (which is currently in the early phases of design).
- A focus on sustainability for energy, water, and greenhouse gas emission targets.
For more information about the design for this project, see the two documents below which were exhibited as part of the Development Application.
- Warrawong District Community Centre and Library DA Statement PDF, 16945.33 KB
- Warrawong District Community Centre and Library Landscape Concept Design Report PDF, 12553.49 KB
Project timing and updates
- Community engagement on the concept design began in 2019.
- We shared initial designs in July 2021 and invited community feedback.
- The Development Application (DA) was exhibited in late 2021, and is now being assessed. The DA will be determined by the Southern Regional Planning Panel.
- We may ask the community for more ideas and feedback as we work out a more detailed design of the Town Square, or other features such as signage and public art. Keep an eye on the Our Wollongong website for opportunities to join the conversation.
- Construction is expected to start in early 2023, with the new centre opening to the public in early 2025. Please note, these dates are an indication only, and may change.
We'll provide further updates as we reach new stages for the project.
- Current Works and Projects
- Ongoing Projects
- Future Works and Projects
- Road Resurfacing
- Tenders, Quotations and EOIs
- Sustainability at Council