Wollongong is the perfect place to hold an event – from small gatherings to major festivals and sporting events.
If you’re organising an event in Wollongong, we have plenty of resources to help you.
Event approvals during COVID-19
During the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, Council will consider any event applications in line with current restrictions and orders set by NSW Health.
If your event does not meet NSW Health requirements and/or does not have an exemption at the time of assessment, it will not be approved. We will only issue an event licence when activities are considered permissible.
For current information about what's allowed for events and gatherings, visit the NSW Health website.
Council’s Events Team
Our dedicated Events Team can provide advice to event organisers at all stages of the planning process, including site selection and identifying what approvals are required.
You can email the Events Team or call them on (02) 4227 7111.
Destination Wollongong works with organisers of major events to bring new and exciting events to our city.
They also have a free online events calendar you can use to promote your event.
Visit the Destination Wollongong website for more information and contact details.
Wollongong’s got you covered with a wide range of pre-approved event sites ready to go! All sites are easy to reach using the free Gong Shuttle, and local train stations.
Our online toolkit has everything you need to know about choosing the right site for your event.
Events Toolkit PDF, 915.32 KB
We've also created a checklist to help you make your events more accessible and inclusive.
See our site profiles below for more details on each venue.
- Stuart Park
- Lang Park
- Wollongong Foreshore
- The Arts Precinct
- MacCabe Park
- Osborne Park
- Dalton Park
- Wollongong Botanic Garden
How to apply for your event
- Read the Events Toolkit and make sure you understand everything you need to provide. If things are missing from your application this could cause delays or additional fees.
- Talk to us. Speak to our events team before you apply. They can explain what documents you’ll need and give you tips to make the application process smoother. You can email our events team or call them on (02) 4227 7111.
- Get your documentation ready. Make sure you provide as much information as possible when filling out the forms.
- Lodge your application. We strongly recommend you use our online portal. You’ll need to register as a user, then fill in the online form, attach your supporting documents, pay the application fees and you’re away. Note that lodging an application doesn’t guarantee approval.
Please note, you can use the button below to apply for an event at our pre-approved sites only.
If you want to hold an event at a different site, call (02) 4227 7111 or email our events team for advice.
Sustainable Events Guide
This voluntary guide is designed to support event organisers in delivering more sustainable events and reduce their environmental footprint. It covers waste, energy, transport, food and water, promotional material and more.
Many of the ideas in this guide can also be applied to smaller-scale parties and gatherings.
Download a copy of the guide and checklist below.
Waste Wise Events
Our Environment team can work with you to make your activity a Waste Wise Event. This includes providing extra bins, and collecting recyclables. compost and rubbish.
Call us on (02) 4227 7111 to talk about making your event Waste Wise.
You can also read our Waste Wise Events Booking Form and Guidelines PDF, 188.83 KB for more information.
Balloons at events
We have a Single Use Plastics policy PDF, 52.19 KB that we follow for any Council-organised events. As part of this policy, we avoid a range of single use items, including balloons, and we encourage other event organisers to consider doing this.
Even balloons that are biodegradable often become litter before they break down, and can harm marine animals.
Event organisers should also keep in mind that it's illegal to release 20 or more gas-filled balloons under the Protection of the Environment Operations Amendment (Balloons) Act 2000.
Use the links below to view fees and charges for event applications.
- Fees for Tier 1, 2, 3 and 4 event applications. For information about event tiers, see our Major Events Strategy PDF, 4137.14 KB.
- Botanic Garden event fees
- Fees for power in parks and reserves
- Section 68 fees
For Council's full fees and charges list, see our Fees and Charges page.
Council has a limited amount of equipment available for event organisers to borrow. This includes witches hats, barrier boards, bollards and sulo bins.
There's no cost to borrow this equipment, but Council may ask you to pay a bond which will be refunded when the equipment is returned.
Equipment loans are subject to availability. If you'd like to book equipment, email or call us on (02) 4227 7111.
Council manages a large range of indoor and outdoor spaces that can be used for events of all sizes, from parks and beaches to community centres and halls.
See our Book a Space page to explore venue options.
- COVID-19 Information for Businesses
- Assistance to Council Tenants
- Invest Wollongong
- Business Information and Support
- Business Permits and Regulations
- Tenders, Quotations and EOIs
- Organise an Event
- Sponsor Local Communities
- Social Enterprises
- Aboriginal Businesses and Cultural Tourism