Use space to open navigation items
Wollongong City Council

Business Permits and Regulations

Whatever business you run, at some point you're likely to need a permit from Council, or help understanding the rules that apply to you.

Below is a guide to some common business activities and regulations.

Starting a new venture? Visit our Planning Research page for information about some of the things you'll need to consider.

Council regularly inspects certain types of business to make sure they’re following standards for health and safety.

This includes many food, beauty, health, recreation and accommodation businesses.

See our Health and Safety Rules page for details.

Any business that handles food has to be registered with Council. Special rules apply to food businesses, including permanent, temporary and mobile food providers.

See our Food Businesses page for details.

    Businesses that operate in public outdoor areas will generally need to have a licence or similar agreement with Council.

    Common outdoor businesses that operate in Wollongong include:

    To discuss running a business on Council-managed land, use the button below or call us on (02) 4227 7111.

    If you need to arrange a recycling and waste collection service for your business, visit the Wollongong Waste website or call 1300 362 360.

    If your business has special waste, such as medical, contaminated or building waste, you will need to make private arrangements with a qualified waste disposal company.

    If you want to run an event for your business, see our Event Organiser pages.

    Planning a video or photo shoot for your business? See our Filming and Photography page for advice, or to apply for Council approval.

    Whether you're just setting up, or want some new signs to advertise your business, it's important you know the rules.

    Many types of advertisements and signs can be installed as exempt development. This means if you follow set guidelines, you won't need to get permission from Council.

    However some types of advertising and signage will need approval from Council or a qualified private certifier. You can read more about this in the Advertising Signage and Structures PDF, 1753.14 KB chapter of our Development Control Plan.

    If you're not sure what rules apply to you, talk to us for Development Advice.

    The NSW Government has banned certain single-use plastics.

    Lightweight plastic shopping bags were banned from 1 June 2022, and a number of other single-use plastic items were banned from 1 November 2022.

    To learn more, visit the Plastics Ban NSW website.