We're proud to be the first city in the southern hemisphere to become a UCI Bike City.
Wollongong was given this prestigious label in early 2021 in recognition of our long-term commitment to cycling.
We're excited to get people of all ages and abilities cycling across our city. From your first-ever ride through to commuters and athletes, we want everyone to have the opportunity to enjoy bike riding.
What is a UCI Bike City?
The label is only given to cities that show a long-term commitment to supporting cycling at all levels. To be eligible, cities also need to host a UCI cycling event, such as the 2022 UCI Road World Championships, which are coming to Wollongong in September!
Wollongong is now one of 18 Bike Cities around the world, including Vancouver, Paris, Copenhagen, Glasgow and Bergen. We're proud to be the first Australian city, and the first regional city, to receive this prestigious label.
Creating our Bike City
There are lots of ways we're working to make Wollongong better for bike riders.
- More ways to cycle: We're building new places for you to ride, and improving bike infrastructure. As well as bike paths and tracks, we're adding bike parking, water stations, and other things to make your riding experience better.
- Bringing everyone along for the ride: You don't have to wear lycra to be a 'cyclist'. Riding is something everyone can enjoy, no matter your age, interests or abilities. We're working to educate people about cycling, and help build your skills to get more out of your ride.
- Celebrating cycling: There's a lot to love about cycling, and we're sharing the love! Keep an eye out for cycling-inspired public art, events, and more fun stuff.
Comment on our future plans
We're inviting community feedback until 31 May 2022 on our future plans - including works on roads, cycleways and other features to support cycling in Wollongong.
See our Future Plans page for more information.
Explore our bike pages below to learn more about cycling in Wollongong.
- Good weather for ducks, and growing grass 25/02/22
- Cringila Hills receives new picnic shelter as work continues 18/02/22
- Every pedestrian and cyclists counts 27/01/22
- Wheel excitement over bike tracks 20/01/22
- Bike bells ring, are you listening? 21/12/21
You can also search our news page for older items.