Dogs and cats have to be microchipped and registered.
Your vet can microchip your pet. This has to be done before you register your animal.
Both cats and dogs should be microchipped before they’re 12 weeks old, or when they go to a new owner – whichever happens first.
Your pet needs to be registered before they are six months old.
- Only dogs that are desexed before they turn 6 months of age are entitled to discounted registration
- Additional permit fees apply to cats not desexed before they turn 4 months of age.
You will have to pay a one-off fee to register your pet.
Current registration fees are shown on the Office of Local Government website (see the 'Registration Fees' section under Key Information).
Working dogs and greyhounds registered under the Greyhound Racing Act generally don’t need to be microchipped or registered.
Cats born before 1 July 1999 don't have to be registered as long as they don’t change owners, but it’s still recommended that you microchip them.
See the Office of Local Government website for more information (look for the 'Exemption from microchipping and lifetime registration' section under 'Key Information').
From 1 July 2020, the NSW Government is introducing annual permits for cats not desexed by 4 months of age, and restricted and dangerous dogs.
Only dogs desexed before turning 6 months of age are entitled to discounted registration.
For details, visit the Office of Local Government website,
You can also email the NSW Pet Registry, or call 1300 134 460 for more information.
You need to update your pet’s details when:
- Your pet is given or sold to a new owner – update within 14 days
- Your pet goes missing for more than three days – update within four days
- You move house – update within 14 days
- Your pet dies – update within 28 days.
- Household Recycling and Waste
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- On-site Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Information
- Book a Space
- Apply for a Grant
- Filming and Photography
- Language Services
- Update Your Details