Use space to open navigation items
Wollongong City Council

Granny Flats

Granny flats are officially called ‘secondary dwellings’. They are an affordable way to create more housing.

Secondary dwellings are generally:

  • Self-contained, with a habitable room, kitchen area, bath or shower and toilet, and clothes washing facilities
  • On the same property as a single existing home, which has at least 450 square metres of land
  • Within or attached to the existing home, or freestanding
  • No more than 60 square metres in floor area.

You can only have one secondary dwelling on a property.

Secondary dwellings cannot be subdivided from the main house and sold separately.

Getting approval

Requests for approval to build a secondary dwelling are usually considered under the Affordable Housing State Environmental Planning Policy (AHSEPP).

There are two paths to getting approval:

Complying Development

You can get fast approval –  often in just a couple of weeks  – if your planned project meets the rules in the AHSEPP. This is called complying development. Information about building a secondary dwelling as complying development can be found on the NSW Planning Portal.

You can get a complying development approved by an accredited certifying authority. Council is an accredited certifying authority.

Use the button below to apply for a complying development certificate from Council via the NSW Planning Portal.

Development Application

If your secondary dwelling doesn’t fit the complying development rules, you will need to get approval through a Development Application.

Make sure you read the planning rules that apply to your land before you start this process.

Council can also help you by providing development advice.