Granny flats are officially called ‘secondary dwellings’. They are an affordable way to create more housing.
Secondary dwellings are generally:
- Self-contained, with a habitable room, kitchen area, bath or shower and toilet, and clothes washing facilities
- On the same property as a single existing home, which has at least 450 square metres of land
- Within or attached to the existing home, or freestanding
- No more than 60 square metres in floor area.
You can only have one secondary dwelling on a property.
Secondary dwellings cannot be subdivided from the main house and sold separately.
Requests for approval to build a secondary dwelling are usually considered under the Affordable Housing State Environmental Planning Policy (AHSEPP).
There are two paths to getting approval:
You can get fast approval – often in just a couple of weeks – if your planned project meets the rules in the AHSEPP. This is called complying development. Information about building a secondary dwelling as complying development can be found on the NSW Planning Portal.
You can get a complying development approved by an accredited certifying authority. Council is an accredited certifying authority.
Use the button below to apply for a complying development certificate from Council via the NSW Planning Portal.
If your secondary dwelling doesn’t fit the complying development rules, you will need to get approval through a Development Application.
Make sure you read the planning rules that apply to your land before you start this process.
Council can also help you by providing development advice.
- Online Services
- Household Recycling and Waste
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- Roof Cleaning and Restoration
- On-site Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Addressing
- Wood Heaters
- Property Information
- Book a Space
Apply for a Grant
- Bands and Choirs
- Community Events
- Community Events Quick Response Grants
- Connecting Neighbours Grants
- Connecting Neighbours - Verge Garden Grants
- Creating Connections - High School Grants
- Creative Wollongong Quick Response Grants
- Economic and Industry Grants
- Emergency Food and Care Support Grants
- Heritage Grants
- Live Music Quick Response Grants
- Minor Donations
- NAIDOC Week Grants
- Small Cultural Grants
- Sports Grants
- Filming and Photography
- Language Services
- Update Your Details