FOGO stands for Food Organics and Garden Organics.
In 2020 we rolled out a new FOGO service using your existing green bin. If you haven't received your FOGO caddy and starter kit, please contact Wollongong Waste.
Your green bin can now be used for all food waste and garden organics, which we'll reprocess into quality compost. This will help the environment by sending less waste to landfill and reducing harmful greenhouse gas emissions.
Food scraps make up about 40% of waste in our city's household red bins. By using FOGO, we can recover and reuse this waste, and save about 150kg per household from going to landfill.
Please only use the compostable bags supplied by Council, or ones displaying the AS 4736 code and seedling logo. These can be found at most supermarkets.
Read the FOGO page on the Wollongong Waste website to find out more about this new system.
FOGO Easy English Guide
We have made an Easy English guide about how to use your FOGO bin.
FOGO community language guides
Pick an option below to read our FOGO guide in different community languages:
- FOGO Easy Read guide - Arabic PDF, 1226.96 KB
- FOGO Easy Read guide - Chinese PDF, 1568.32 KB
- FOGO Easy Read guide - Farsi PDF, 1220.31 KB
- FOGO Easy Read guide - Italian PDF, 1506.51 KB
- FOGO Easy Read guide - Macedonian PDF, 1555.67 KB
- FOGO Easy Read guide - Vietnamese PDF, 1594.8 KB
Extra green waste
- grass clippings and leaves
- prunings and twigs
- untreaded timber (no painted or manufactured wood, such as MDF)
- small branches less than 150mm in diameter.
Home composting and worm farms
If you'd like to set up a home compost or worm farm as well as (or instead of) using FOGO, see our Compost and Organic Waste page for details.
- Household Recycling and Waste
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- Roof Cleaning and Restoration
- On-site Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Information
- Book a Space
Apply for a Grant
- Bands and Choirs
- Community Events
- Community Events Quick Response Grants
- Connecting Neighbours Grants
- Creating Connections - High School Grants
- Economic and Industry Grants
- Emergency Food and Care Support Grants
- Heritage Grants
- Live Music Quick Response Grants
- Minor Donations
- NAIDOC Week Grants
- Small Cultural Grants
- Sports Grants
- Filming and Photography
- Language Services
- Update Your Details