Our city's household waste goes to Wollongong Waste and Resource Recovery Park – also known as Whytes Gully.
This site is also home to the Revolve Centre and our Community Recycling Centre.
- Weekdays 7.30am to 4.30pm
- Weekends and public holidays (including Good Friday) 8am to 4pm
The waste depot is closed on Christmas Day.
View fees and charges for household waste online or download our Waste Fees and Charges 2022-2023 brochure PDF, 1702.01 KB
See our Fees and Charges page for the full list of waste fees, including commercial, business and special waste.
Please note, due to public health concerns relating to Coronavirus, we are currently accepting payment by card only until further notice.
Cash payments are not accepted.
If you're bringing items to our waste depot, follow these simple steps to help save you time and possibly money!
- Sort your items. Separate your recyclables and items that can go to our Community Recycling Centre (CRC) from green waste and general waste. You can find details of accepted green waste on our Household Rubbish page.
- Load carefully. Pack your car or trailer with recyclables and CRC items last, so they're on top. Drop these items off first - turn right at the roundabout before the weighbridge to unload them for free. Then head over the weighbridge with any green or general waste.
- Cover your load. If your'e using a trailer, ute, or other open-top vehicle to bring items to the waste depot, make sure your waste is securely covered to avoid littering or even being fined.
Our waste depot at Whytes Gully does not accept building waste.
Building waste includes, but is not limited to:
- Fibro Sheeting
- Galvanised Iron Sheeting
- Plaster Sheeting
- Excavation Materials (including clean and unclean fill).
There are some private businesses in our local area that accept building waste. Please search the internet for 'building waste Wollongong' to find available options.
The Helensburgh Waste Depot closed in 2012, and we're working to rehabilitate the site. See our project page for updates.
Feedback about our Waste Depot
To make a complaint or provide feedback about environmental issues at our Waste Depot at Kembla Grange, please call (02) 4227 7111.
This number can also be used for urgent issues after-hours. Choose option 1 to be put through to our after-hours service.
For non-urgent feedback, you can also visit our Compliments, Complaints and Feedback page.
- Online Services
- Household Recycling and Waste
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Backyard Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- Roof Cleaning and Restoration
- On-site Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Addressing
- Wood Heaters
- Activity Applications
- Property Information
- Book a Space
- Apply for a Grant
- Filming and Photography
- Language Services
- Update Your Details