Use space to open navigation items
Wollongong City Council

Lodge a Development Application

The type and amount of information you need to include in your development application (DA) will depend on what kind of development you’re applying for.

Our application forms and checklists explain what you need to include for different types of development.

You can also contact us for Development Advice before you lodge an application.

DAs generally need to include the items listed below as a minimum:

Your development application can be completed on a hard copy form, or online using the button at the bottom of this page.

You can lodge the following types of development applications online:

  • Alterations and additions to an existing dwelling
  • A new dwelling that's single or two storey
  • Dual occupancy
  • Secondary dwelling (granny flat)
  • Ancillary structure, including carport, deck or pergola
  • Swimming pool
  • Demolition only
  • Change of use
  • Home business.

Any other type of development application must be made on a hard copy form.

You can find relevant forms on our DA Forms and Checklists page. Hard copy applications can be lodged at our Customer Service Centre between 8.30am and 4.30pm on weekdays.

For both online and hard copy applications, you’ll need the consent of all registered owners of the property. For strata schemes or properties owned by a company you’ll need an authorised stamp or seal.

Read our DA format guidelines to help you prepare an application.

This statement explains the impacts the development is expected to have on the environment, nearby properties or the public. See our Statement of Environmental Effects page for details about what needs to be included in this document.

You’ll need to provide one digital and one hard copy set of any drawings required.

Our checklists explain what drawings are needed for your application.

Read our format guidelines for plans, drawings and documents to help you prepare an application.

Depending on the type and location of your planned development, you might also have to include:

  • Demolition details
  • Site survey
  • Floor Area information
  • Bush Fire Assessment Report
  • Flood study
  • Geotechnical report
  • Landscape plan
  • Arborist's report for significant vegetation
  • Statement of Heritage Impact
  • Major development additional information and reports
  • 3D electronic model.

To confirm what information your application needs, see our application forms and checklists or contact us for Development Advice.

If you've made a reportable political donation or gift to any Councillor (including the Lord Mayor) or Council employee within the past two years, you will need to disclose this when submitting your DA.

For more information, or to make a disclosure, see the form below:

Political Donations and Gifts Disclosure Statement to Council  PDF, 56.24 KB

You will need to pay any relevant Council fees when you lodge your application.

For some DAs, Council will need to have comments or approval from external agencies. You may also need to pay separate fees directly to the State government or to other external agencies such as the Rural Fire Service for this service. See our lodgement checklists for details.

We can give you an estimate of the fee before you lodge, but the final may be different to that estimate. Call (02) 4227 7111 or visit us to request an estimate.

Apply online

Please note, not all DAs can be lodged online. Before starting, check the list of applications that can be made online under the 'A completed DA form' section of this page.

You will be asked to enter the property address to begin an online application.

After you lodge a DA

We’ll give you an application number that you can use to track what’s happening with your DA.

After an application has been lodged, the next steps will usually include:

See our Building page for information about what you need to do after a DA is approved, including Construction Certificates and Occupation Certificates.