Notice: Information for our community on Coronavirus (COVID-19) Read more.
Use space to open navigation items
Wollongong City Council

Property Information

Council holds information about your property that you might need when buying, building or improving your home.

Information you can get about your property is shown below.

Register for certificate applications (optional)

You can register for an online account before applying for property certificates. Registering lets you save your details, save unfinished applications, and track your applications. We recommend this for people or businesses who need to make multiple requests.

You can still apply without setting up an account if you prefer.

You can get land zone information and a free Property Report by searching for your address on the NSW Planning Portal. This report gives you general information but it can't be used in place of a Planning Certificate.

A 10.7 Planning Certificate (which used to be called a Section 149 Certificate) is an official document about the planning rules and any restrictions that apply to your land.

This certificate is often needed when properties are bought and sold, or if you’re planning to develop a property.

The main types of information in a 10.7 (2) Certificate include:

  • Which planning laws apply to your property
  • The land zone and what you are or aren’t allowed to use the land for
  • Which development standards apply
  • Any critical habitats, conservation areas or environmental heritage items that are on the land
  • Whether you can do work as complying development on the land
  • If there is any road widening earmarked, or plans for part of the land to be acquired
  • Any restrictions in place to reduce hazards
  • If there is a vegetation plan or biobanking agreement for the land
  • Whether the land is contaminated [under the Contaminated Lands Management Act 1997]
  • Any Bushfire and Contributions Plans

Extra information

When you apply for a 10.7 (2) Certificate, you can also apply for a 10.7 (5) Certificate, which will give you extra information if it's available, including:

  • Any Council resolutions to prepare a Planning Proposal for the property
  • Proposed draft Development Control Plans
  • Land stability
  • Flood and drainage
  • Acid sulfate soils
  • State Significant Development
  • Building lines
  • Other heritage matters known to Council
  • Tree Management Policy.

Please note that you can't get a 10.7 (5) Certificate on its own - it must be combined with a 10.7 (2) Certificate.

Planning Certificates only provide information about your land. If you need information about any built structures on a property, see the Building Information Certificate section of this page.


View Planning Certificate fees and charges.

From 1 December 2020, all building information certificate applications must be made online using the links below. Hard copy applications will no longer be accepted.

A Building Information Certificate is a document issued by Council relating to existing works to a building.

A Building Information Certificate is usually requested by buyers or sellers of a property before settlement to make sure that what is being bought or sold will not be the subject of action by Council. It is also often requested for work done without the appropriate approvals from Council or a registered certifier.

You can request a Building Information Certificate if you are one of the following:

  • the owner of the property, or another person with the consent of the owner
  • buying a property under a contract of sale (or the solicitor or agent of the buyer)
  • a public authority that has notified the owner of its intention to apply for the certificate.

A Building Information Certificate can apply to all or part of a building. It states that Council will not take any action for seven years to Order, or start proceedings for an Order, to have the building covered by the certificate to:

  • be demolished, altered, added to or rebuilt, or
  • resolve any encroachment by the building onto land controlled by Council.

Please note that Building Information Certificates do not apply to pool safety barriers or pool fencing. See our Pool Certificates page for more information.

All applications for Building Certificates must be made online. There are two types of applications which are described below.

Building Information Certificate for Sale of Property

Use this form if there are no unauthorised works done to the building, and an Occupation Certificate has been issued by a certifier, or a satisfactory final inspection has been done by Council.

Before you start this application, make sure you have a copy of a current identification survey for the property.

Building Information Certificate for Unauthorised Works

Use this form in all other circumstances.

Please note:

  • You will be asked to include documents to support your application. These may vary for each application.
  • You may be sent an invoice for additional fees based on the initial assessment of your application.
  • You cannot apply for a priority issue of certificate for this application.
  • Making an application does not guarantee approval, and Council may issue a Notice or Order for the demolition of the unauthorised building or part of the building.
  • If a Notice or Order is served or the Building Information Certificate is refused, you have the right to appeal to the Land and Environment Court.
  • If a Building Information Certificate is issued for unauthorised works, Council may still issue a penalty notice or start legal action against whoever did the work without the required approvals as a breach of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.

This application lets you know about past and expected flood levels for a property.

We don’t have this information for every property. Please call us on (02) 4227 7111 to confirm if flood information is available for your property before you apply. The application fee cannot be refunded if there is no information available for your property.

If flood information is available, 20% AEP (annual exceedance probability), 1% AEP and PMF (probable maximum flood) levels will be supplied.

Please allow approximately 10 working days for the information to be sent to you.


View Flood level information fees and charges.

Other flood information

You can find out if Council has identified your property as flood affected by getting a 10.7 (parts 2 and 5) Planning Certificate. See the Planning Certificate section of this page for details.

You can also find information about floodplain management in Wollongong on our Floods and Stormwater page.

You can check if there are any rates or other payments owing on a property by applying for a 603 certificate.


Fees and charges for Section 603 Certificates.

This application can be used to check if there is any money owing to Council due to a Positive Covenant on a property.

A Positive Covenant is an agreement that the owner will do something to benefit the land - for example to build or maintain a fence or driveway.


Fees and charges for an s88G Conveyancing Act Certificate.

Use this application to check if there have been any orders or notices placed on a property.

This could include things like orders to demolish a structure that is dangerous or unapproved, or to clean up a site.


Fees and charges for Outstanding Orders.

You can apply to find out if there are any proposals for road widening that will affect your property.


Application fee for road widening certificates.

You can request information about past approvals on a property from Council. If you are the owner, or have the owner's written consent, you can also ask us for copies of your property's floorplans.

To request past approvals or plans, make an informal GIPA request through our Access to Information page.

If you live next to a Council-managed park or reserve, you can apply to get temporary access to your property from this land. For example, you might want access to move large items on or off your property, or for building or other works.

If your application is approved, you'll have to pay a security bond to Council. After your approved access period, we'll inspect the land and if no damage has occurred, we'll refund this bond.

Use the form below to apply, or call us on (02) 4227 7111 for help.

Application for access across Council land form PDF, 52.48 KB