We're happy to announce the Rise & Shine Campaign is back in 2022! The program includes the Spring Cleanup and Schools Competition.
Rise & Shine is our longest-running environmental clean-up program. It was established in 1986.
Rise & Shine aims to increase pride in our city. It encourages the community to take part in a range of activities to improve our local environment, which helps to increase residents' quality of life, both now and for future generations.
We look forward to a successful year, after the difficulties faced during the last two years. Thanks to everyone who has continued to support our environmental programs.
Each spring, volunteer community groups and individuals pitch in to remove rubbish from public areas like parks, creeks and beachfront reserves.
Rubbish collected by the volunteers is removed by Council staff or waste contractors who support the program by providing bins.
The Rise & Shine Schools Environmental Competition encourages local students to develop environmental management plans, and use innovative strategies to improve the environment.
Keep an eye on our Rise & Shine Schools Competition page for details of our next competition coming soon.
Make an active contribution to reducing litter in our beautiful beaches, waterways and parks.
Through the Picitup Program, individuals or groups volunteer in their own time to remove litter from public areas, and record what they collect.
Recording valuable information about the amounts and types of rubbish found in different locations helps us understand where the litter might come from, so we can continue to work together to find ways to reduce litter happening in the first place.
How it works
- Request and arrange collection of your free Picitup Kit via email. The kit includes a bag, gloves, hand sanitiser and a pad of data collection sheets.
- Get collecting! Take your kit out and start picking up any litter you find – especially the small items and fragments of plastics like bottle lids, bread tags etc. A good idea is to keep the kit in your car.
- Record what you collect – either after your clean up (or during if it is easier). You will need to enter the data online or you can download the AMDI Data Collection app. Note: You will need to register the first time you use the system.
- Stay clean. Be sure to clean your hands thoroughly after handling rubbish. If your bag gets dirty hose it off with water between each use.
The Picitup Program supports the Australian Marine Debris Initiative which is coordinated by Tangaroa Blue Foundation, and is designed to encourage and support individuals and community groups who do litter clean-ups.
If all we do is clean up, then that's all we'll ever do.
For more information on the Picitup Program, email or call us on 4227 7111.
Information for Rise & Shine Groups
Read our Rise & Shine Clean Up Guide for tips on how to stay safe while you're volunteering.
If you’re part of a Rise and Shine group, here are some handy links:
When you report a clean up you'll be asked to attach a list of participants. Use the template below, attach it to your clean up report. Each person listed will be entered in our lucky draw for a chance to win prizes donated by local businesses.
For more information on Rise & Shine, email or call us on (02) 4227 7111.
Report an Issue
- Air or Water Pollution
- Animal Issues
- Building and Development Issues
- Drains and Stormwater Pits
- Food Issues
- Health Issues
- Injury or Damage Claims
- Noise Issues
- Park Maintenance Issues
- Playground and Sportsground Issues
- Roads and Footpaths
- Rubbish and Recycling Issues
- Traffic and Parking Issues
- Trees, Grass and Plants
- Website Issues
- News and Alerts
- Join the Conversation
- Neighbourhood Forums
- Wollongong Living Books
- Activities at our Community Centres
- COVID-19 Support Services Directory
- Aboriginal Culture and Communities
- Children and Families
- Young People
- Older People
- People with Disability
- Support for Carers
- Community Transport
- Multicultural Communities
- Refugee Communities
- LGBTQIA+ Communities
- Mental Health and Crisis Support
- Affordable Housing
- Low Cost and Free Meals
- Social Enterprises
- Reduce Waste
- Sustainable Food
- Gardening and Plants
- Energy and Water
- Learn About Climate Change
- Ride our Bike City