Household waste collections are continuing as usual.
Our waste depot is open for essential waste only. Before visiting, please ask yourself "is this essential?"
- Everyone must register when entering the site. QR codes are available.
- Face masks must be worn at all times.
- Social distancing rules must be followed.
- Traffic control will be in place for the safety of our customers and staff. Please be patient as there may be slight delays.
- Payment is by card only.
- The Revolve Centre is closed until further notice.
You must also follow any other NSW Health rules that apply at the time of your visit.
For updates on other Council services, please see our Coronavirus Updates page.
The Wollongong Waste website is your go-to place for information about your red, yellow and green bin collections.
Visit Wollongong Waste or call 1300 362 360 to:
- Book a cleanup
- Find out when your collection day is
- Learn what goes in your red, yellow and green bins
- Learn about FOGO
- Report a problem with your bins
- Get your bin repaired
- Change the size of your red bin
- Order an extra bin
- Arrange bins for a new home.
Explore the list below to find out more about dealing with your household rubbish.
You can recycle many common household items including cardboard, paper, plastics, steel cans and glass bottles and jars in your yellow top bin, which is collected fortnightly.
Our Community Recycling Centre (CRC) at Kembla Grange also lets you drop off many common types of problem household waste, plus excess recyclables that don't fit in your yellow top bin. It’s free to use this service. Visit our Community Recycling Centre page for more details.
Each household in Wollongong can get two free kerbside cleanups every year.
You must book your cleanup in advance:
- If you live in a house or a complex (eg flats, villas, townhouses) with eight or less units, you can book any time.
- If you live in a complex with more than eight units, you’ll need to talk to the strata or managing body to arrange a booking.
To book a cleanup and find out what items can be included, visit the Wollongong Waste website.
Some types of waste are difficult to get rid of responsibly, like chemicals, asbestos and medical waste.
See our Problem Waste page for tips on dealing with these types of rubbish.
Soft plastics should not go in your yellow recycling bin.
Soft plastics include any plastic packaging you can easily scrunch into a ball, like bread bags, rice packets, plastic bags, lolly and biscuit wrappers, frozen food bags and even old green bags.
You can recycle soft plastics by taking them to a Redcycle drop-off point. These can be found at many local Coles and Woolworths supermarkets.
Visit our Sustainable Living pages to find out how reduce your household waste and help the environment.
We’ve put together information about waste and recycling in some commonly spoken community languages:
- Managing our waste wisely - Arabic PDF, 1324.27 KB
- Managing our waste wisely - Chinese PDF, 1533.75 KB
- Managing our waste wisely - Macedonian PDF, 1309.69 KB
If you need help with a waste issue in a language other than English, see our Language Services page.
We offer two types of waste collection services to help residents on compassionate grounds:
- Wheel Out / Wheel In Waste Service: for special needs households who can't physically take their bins to the kerb due to a verified, permanent or long-term medical condition.
- Kidney Dialysis Service: a 240L Residual Waste Service for households that have excessive residual waste associated with kidney dialysis which can't be managed using the standard collection service.
These services are limited. Visit the Wollongong Waste website for more information and application forms, or call us on (02) 4227 7111.
- Household Recycling and Waste
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- On-site Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Information
- Book a Space
- Apply for a Grant
- Filming and Photography
- Language Services
- Update Your Details