Notice: Information for our community on Coronavirus (COVID-19) Read more.
Use space to open navigation items
Wollongong City Council

Standard Conditions for Road Closures

These conditions apply to special events and work-related activities within Council road reserves.

Following approval by Wollongong City Council, road closures are subject to the additional Council conditions:

  1. The Applicant must complete the Council form 'Application for Works in Road Reserve - Open or Occupy' (refer to the checklist below, which relates to Section 138 of the Roads Act). You can complete this application online or using the hard copy form PDF, 74.75 KB.
  2. NSW Police Approval: The Applicant must obtain written approval from NSW Police, where required under the Roads Act.
  3. If the Road Closure is within 100m of any traffic control signals or on a ‘State Classified Road’ the Applicant must obtain a Road Occupancy Licence (ROL) from Transport for NSW.
  4. The Applicant must advise all affected residents and business owners within the closure area of the date/s and times for the closure, at least 7 days before the intended date of works.
  5. The Applicant must advise Emergency Services: Ambulance, Fire Brigade and Police, Taxi and Bus Companies of the closure dates and times in writing, 7 days before the intended date of works. The Applicant must endeavour to minimise the impact on bus services during the closure.
  6. Traffic Management Plan: The closure must be set up in accordance with the approved Traffic Management Plan (TMP) prepared by an appropriately qualified traffic controller; a copy of whose qualifications must be included with the submitted TMP.
  7. Traffic Management Plan Setup: The Traffic Management Plan must be set up by appropriately qualified traffic control persons or the NSW Police.
  8. Access to properties affected by the road closure must be maintained where possible. Where direct access cannot be achieved, an alternative arrangement must be agreed to by both the applicant and the affected person/s.
  9. Public Notice Advertisement: The Applicant must advertise the road closure in the Public Notices section of the local paper, detailing closure date/s and times at least 7 days before the closure.
  10. Public Liability Policy: The Applicant must provide Council with a copy of their current insurance policy to a value of no less than $20 million dollars to cover Wollongong City Council from any claims arising from the closure.


  • Completed Council Form: 'Application for Works in Road Reserve - Open or Occupy' completed online or in hard copy PDF, 74.75 KB
  • Required attachments:
    • A copy of the letter from the Traffic Committee authorising the closure
    • The Traffic Management Plan (TMP)
    • The Road Occupancy Licence (ROL) if required
    • Written approval from NSW Police, where required
    • Public Liability Insurance.

Hard copy applications can be lodged at Council's Customer Service Centre at 41 Burelli Street, Wollongong, between 8.30am and 5pm Monday to Friday.