It's been a tough two years for Wollongong's local businesses.
You can help your city to recover. Now is the time to think local first, and shop the Gong. There are so many ways to support your community. Use your Dine + Discover vouchers to book a local table, celebrate locally or see local shows. Hire local tradies, buy local art, or discover unique shops.
Enjoy convenience and expertise while you support your city. From Helensburgh to Yallah.... We Shop the Gong!
Why spend locally?
A thriving community relies on strong local businesses. Learn how we all benefit when we shop local:
- Small business is the heartbeat of our community. When you spend $1 in a local business, 67 cents stays right here in Wollongong*.
- Where your dollars go, new jobs follow. With around half of all Australians employed by small businesses*, spending in a local business helps your friends, family, or even yourself stay employed.
- In the past 12 months alone, Wollongong residents have spent over $1 billion outside of our city**. Think local first, to keep much-needed funds in our community.
*Go Local First data, 2021.
**Spendmapp data, 2022.
- If you're looking for unique or specialised products, go local first. Our passionate local businesses are innovating for the future, offering you more choice in world-class products and services.
- You can trust your local to offer genuine expert service, and staff who are dedicated to their field.
- Many local businesses drained their reserves in 2020, and were left with no buffer when the 2021 lockdown hit.
- ABS data showed that ten times more jobs have been lost in small business than in big business*.
- Wollongong LGA saw a 30% decline in spending between July to September this year (the lockdown period)**, when compared to the previous year. This equates to around $239 Million in lost revenue for our local businesses.
*Go Local First data, 2020. **Geografica Spendmapp data, 2021
- Wollongong has it all! With so many great local businesses, you can eat, drink, play and shop in one easy to get around location.
- If you're shopping online, don't risk delivery delays. Click-and-collect with a local business and enjoy convenience and reliability.
Real people, real stories
Every local business has a real story to tell. Here’s just a few shared recently.
Share the love
Tag us on Instagram and Facebook when you shop local: @weshopthegong or use #weshopthegong.
Stay up to date
Subscribe here to get campaign news straight to your inbox.