Our Connecting Neighbours Grants program provides small grants to community members and groups who want to make a positive impact in their local area.
This round is all about food! We're embracing the cultural importance of food as well as the growing, preparation and sharing of it all. Most importantly, the connection and building qualities food brings to everyone, everywhere.
As part of our work with Fair Food Illawarra, we're keen to support projects that celebrate healthy, sustainable, affordable and accessible food for all.
Do you have a great idea that doesn’t involve food? You are still welcome to apply.
Applications have now closed.
- Live or be based in the Wollongong City Council area.
- Be an individual with at least two other friends or neighbours who support your idea (for grants up to $250) OR have a local organisation willing to support your project (for grants over $250 and up to $1000).
- A BBQ to welcome new neighbours
- Working bees or gardening
- Social outings, such as for a group of isolated older neighbours.
Applications will be looked at by a panel who will then recommend projects to be approved by the General Manager.
- Must be based in the Wollongong Local Government Area.
- Need to be community members with a shared idea, part of a community group, or representing a small community organisation (not a government agency or a large non-government or community organisation).
- Is a new initiative and involves local residents.
- Connects people and/or strengthens the neighbourhood.
- Of more than $250 will be managed by an incorporated organisation.
- Up to $250 for individual community members with a shared project idea
- Up to $1,000 for projects with the backing of a support organisation. See the 'Support organisations' section of this page for more details.
How funding is provided
- Take responsibility for guiding the project
- Sign an agreement with Council if the application is successful
- Agree to cover the event or activity under their insurances
- Invoice Council, and receive and manage the grant funds
- Work with the project coordinator to write a report to acquit the grant.
Confirmation of support
- See our Park and Beach Hire page for details on how to make a park booking.
- If you'd like to hold a street party, please download the Application for Temporary Road Closure (for Street Parties) form PDF, 34.91 KB and return it to Council. You should also read the standard conditions that apply to street parties.
- See the Food Fairness Illawarra initiative for information on the importance of food and the impact it has on our lives.
Below are images of some Connecting Neighbours projects that have been supported in the past (before COVID-19 restrictions applied).
If you have any questions about Connecting Neighbours Grants, please email or call us on (02) 4227 7111.
- Online Services
- Household Recycling and Waste
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Backyard Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- Roof Cleaning and Restoration
- On-site Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Addressing
- Wood Heaters
- Activity Applications
- Property Information
- Book a Space
- Apply for a Grant
- Filming and Photography
- Language Services
- Update Your Details