Follow the steps below to apply for an event at one of our pre-approved locations.
1. Read our online information
Carefully read all the information on this website, and for the location/s you're interested in. Make sure you understand everything you need to provide. If items are missing when you submit your application, it could result in delays and additional fees.
2. Talk to our Events team
We strongly advise that you speak with our Events team before starting your application. They will talk you through the required documentation, to make your application process smoother.
3. Understand the requirements
Familiarise yourself with the DA for the site you are interested in.
Consider the conditions of the DA that will apply to you. You will need to demonstrate how you'll meet these conditions within your application and supporting documents.
4. Prepare your documentation
All event applications must include the following attachments:
- Event Plan (Event Overview)
- Bump-in and bump-out schedule
- Site Plan
- Notification Plan
- Risk Management Plan
- Waste Management Plan
- Public Liability Insurance Certificate of Currency for a minimum of $20 million, noting Wollongong City Council as an interested party.
- Security Management Plan (if alcohol is being served)
- Traffic Management Plan (if there will be traffic changes).
Depending on the nature of your event, there may be additional plans you should include.
Please see our Event Planning pages for details of plans that may be needed.
Make sure you provide as much information as possible when filling out the form/s: any missing information could result in delays and / or additional fees.
5. Lodge your application online
To apply for an event at one of our pre-approved sites, you will need to use Council's Online Services portal.
Before you can apply, you need to log in or register in our Online Services system.
Once you are logged in, go to Lodge an Application, then Use of Public Land and select Event Application.
You can also save a draft application and come back later to finish it before you submit. You must include all documentation when you submit an application. Missing information could lead to delays or additional fees.
Please note, lodging an application does not guarantee that you will receive an event licence.
What happens after I apply?
It generally takes at least 3 months for your application to be assessed. For larger events of more than 10,000 attendees, you will need to lodge your application at least 4 months before your event date.
We will contact you if we need more information during this process.
We will also provide a formal reply once a decision has been made.
How do I apply for approval at a site that isn't pre-approved?
If you want to use a site that doesn't have pre-approval, you may need to go through some extra planning steps. Please get in touch with Council's Events team for advice.
- COVID-19 Support for Businesses
- We Shop the Gong
- Assistance to Council Tenants
- Invest Wollongong
- Business Information and Support
- Business Permits and Regulations
- Tenders, Quotations and EOIs
- Organise an Event
- Sponsor Local Communities
- Social Enterprises
- Aboriginal Businesses and Cultural Tourism