If you’re an individual or not-for-profit group running an event that’s open to the community, you might be eligible for our Sponsorship of Community Events program.
Each year, we support events like community celebrations, cultural gatherings and state or national sporting events.
This program aims to encourage a wider range of events in our city, particularly those that bring social and economic benefits to the local area.
We encourage applicants to consider the upcoming 2022 UCI Road World Championships as inspiration to stage cycling-related events for our local community in 2022 - 2023. This could include the use of our local bike facilities, encouraging our community to lead an active lifestyle through cycling, and other bike elements.
Applications for our 2022 - 2023 program have now closed.
This program is open to not-for-profit groups, organisations or individuals who are organising an event in the Wollongong City Council area that can be shown to benefit the community.
Events must be held within a fixed timeframe.
Events are classified into three groups for this program:
- Citywide events, which include the whole community of the Wollongong area
- Local community events that are open for anyone to take part in
- Sporting events of state or national significance.
Council may consider an event under a different category than what's listed on your application if we believe another category is more appropriate.
You must apply for this program using our online form, which will be available on this page when applications are open.
You will need to provide detailed information about your event including:
- A description of your event, target audiences, location, etc.
- A budget showing all expenses and sources of income. This should also include information about any other sponsors of the event.
- A copy of your group or organisation's Constitution or Articles of Association if available.
- A copy of your public liability insurance for at least $20 million.
If your application is successful, you'll need to sign a funding agreement with Council.
Out of round applications
Council may consider applications for sponsorship of community events after the main application round if we still have funds available. If you'd like to ask about making an out of round application, email or call us on (02) 4227 7111.
Conflict of interest
When applying for this program, you must identify and declare if there is any actual, potential or perceived conflict of interest that could result from your application. You can read more about what is considered a conflict of interest in our Code of Conduct PDF, 614.07 KB.
Employees of Council must not seek or receive a personal benefit, or be perceived to receive a personal benefit, as a result of funding support from Council.
This following activities are not supported through this program:
- Local events that target a specific sector or group within the community, and are not aimed at the general broader community.
- Conferences or dinners.
- Award presentations.
- Political events.
- Fundraising events that are only available to paid ticket holders.
- Any event that Council considers to be an actual, possible or perceived conflict of interest. This can include a conflict between Council and the event organiser, or Council and another sponsor/supporter of the event.
- Any event that is considered to have a risk management cost to Council.
- Events organised by anyone who has previously received sponsorship from Council, but did not meet all the requirements of the past sponsorship agreement.
- Events that have already happened.
- Ongoing operational, maintenance or administrative costs.
The following sponsorship amounts are available for events under this program:
- City-wide events up to $15,000 + GST
- Local general community events up to $5,000 + GST
- Sporting events of state or national significance up to $5,000 + GST.
Support may be provided through a payment by cheque or direct deposit, by Council providing in-kind support, or a mix of these.
If provided, in-kind support will be given a dollar value by Council and included in the total amount approved. This could be for things like waste services, rebate of fees and charges, or the use of Council services or facilities.
Sponsorship is provided on a one-off basis. For annual or ongoing events, Council may also consider multi-year funding for up to four years.
For more information about this program, please email us or call (02) 4227 7111.
- Online Services
- Household Recycling and Waste
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- Roof Cleaning and Restoration
- On-site Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Addressing
- Wood Heaters
- Activity Applications
- Property Information
- Book a Space
Apply for a Grant
- Bands and Choirs
- Community Events
- Community Events Quick Response Grants
- Connecting Neighbours Grants
- Connecting Neighbours - Verge Garden Grants
- Creating Connections - High School Grants
- Creative Wollongong Quick Response Grants
- Economic and Industry Grants
- Heritage Grants
- Live Music Quick Response Grants
- Minor Donations
- NAIDOC Week Grants
- Small Cultural Grants
- Sports Grants
- Filming and Photography
- Language Services
- Update Your Details