Our Small Cultural Grants program covers a broad range of activities that enliven our city, build our cultural industry and encourage people to get involved. This can include activities like music, performing arts, visual arts and craft, and cultural projects.
We encourage people from diverse cultural and language backgrounds and members of our local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities to apply for this program.
Our Small Cultural Grants program is open to residents of the Wollongong Local Government Area. This includes:
- Community and cultural development organisations
- Physically and socially isolated communities
- Groups from diverse backgrounds
- Young people.
To qualify for support through this program, projects must address issues highlighted in our Creative Wollongong strategy PDF, 10132.88 KB
Your application will need to explain how your project will:
- Involve and benefit the broader community in a Community Cultural Development activity, and encourage participation.
- Reflect and enhance Wollongong's sense of place and local identity.
- Attract broad or new audiences to be aware of, and participate in, cultural activities.
- Use an innovative approach to the activity proposed.
- Be completed in the financial year stated on the application.
- Be completed within a planned budget. Your budget should include quotes for the booking of venues and outdoor spaces if applicable.
If your application is successful, you will need to sign an agreement with Council, and provide a full report and acquittal after your activity takes place.
This program does not support:
- Projects that take place outside the Wollongong City Council area
- Projects that don't directly benefit Wollongong residents
- Funding towards the completion of an accredited course of study
- Activities that are mostly for fundraising purposes
- Projects that carry forward a financial deficit
- Projects that have already taken place
- Activities where a more suitable source of funding is available
- Projects submitted by government departments or agencies
- Projects that financially benefit a profit-making individual, organisation or government department
- Applications from anyone who has previously been given a grant by Council and has not acquitted that grant
- Applications received after the closing date
- Costs for insurance, lease or rent.
There are three funding categories for this program.
Category 1 - Community Cultural Development Projects
Category 1 supports local arts-based Community Cultural Development projects and events organised by individual artists and communities. Applicants can request up to $4,000.
Category 2A - Professional Development, Marketing and Minor Capital Support
This category is open to local community-focused arts organisations, groups and cultural initiatives that have been established for three or more years. It provides funding for professional development, marketing and minor capital support. Applicants can request up to $4,000.
Category 2B - New Intiatives: Professional Development, Marketing and Minor Capital Support
This category is open to local community-focused arts organisations, groups and cultural initiatives that have been established for less than three years. It provides seed funding for professional development, marketing and minor capital support. Applicants can request up to $1,000.
Applications for our Small Cultural Grants open in February each year.
We'll post more details to this page when applications open.
- Household Rubbish
- Pay Your Rates
- Other Payments
- Trees on Your Property
- Alterations and Additions
- New Homes
- Granny Flats
- Residential Subdivision
- Pools and Spas
- Decks, Driveways and More
- Onsite Sewage Systems
- Fire Safety
- Property Information
- Book a Space
- Apply for a Grant
- Filming and Photography
- Language Services
- Update Your Details