NAIDOC Week 2021: Heal Country!
National NAIDOC Week was celebrated from 4 - 11 July 2021.
Due to public health concerns, local events were rescheduled for September, but will unfortunately not go ahead due to extended restrictions.
In the meantime, you can explore Paint the Gong REaD's NAIDOC Celebration Book list PDF, 1706.84 KB for ages 0 -12 years.
Wollongong regularly hosts community events for local Aboriginal communities and the wider public to come together and celebrate Aboriginal culture and history.
Each year, our communities mark the following national events and significant dates:
- 26 January: Survival Day
- 13 February: National Apology to the Stolen Generation
- 19 March: National Closing the Gap Day
- 26 May: National Sorry Day
- 27 May - 3 June: Reconciliation Week
- 3 June: Mabo Day
- First week of July: NAIDOC Week
- 4 August: National Aboriginal and Islander Children's Day
- 9 August: International Day of Indigenous Peoples
- October long weekend: NSW Aboriginal Rugby League Knockout Carnival.
Upcoming events for Aboriginal communities that are organised or supported by Council are shown below.
Sport and Recreation
- Skate Parks
- Outdoor Fitness
- Wollongong City Leisure Centres
- The Vale Golf Course
- Our Pools
- Dog Beaches and Parks
- Parks and Gardens
Art and Culture
- Aboriginal Culture and Communities
- Wollongong Art Gallery
- Public Art
- Creative Wollongong Short Film Competition and Festival
- Standing on the Ceiling
- Spin Fest
- Creative Wollongong Studios
- Creative Dialogues
- ARt at Play Exhibition
- The Arts Precinct
- Viva la Gong
- Opportunities for Artists and Performers
- Wollongong CBD
- Tourist Parks